Which are the best tortoise pellets in the UK?

EmiliaEvan

Location (City and/or State)
Worcestershire, England
Hey there,
It's been a very long winter and still a long time away from weeds growing again, so I was wondering which are the best tortoise pellets in the UK? And where do you get them from?
I have a very greedy 8 month old Greek spur-thighed.

Picture is just because she is very cute.

Attachments

• 142159222_3977396135617639_1760364459476692084_o.jpg
    142159222_3977396135617639_1760364459476692084_o.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 22

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I always used Komodo fruit and flower

Mazuri, very popular in the USA, is now available from the Shelled Warriors shop

Suey

England
Hi yes I use mazuri which in uk is called nutrazu. I also use zoomed grassland tortoise food. A very healthy food is pre- Alpen which sometimes take a while for a tortoise to take to it. I mix them together with hot water cool and it makes a soft mash which my two love.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi my tort won't touch pellets no matter how I serve them up. I've not tried nutrazu though.

For the winter I use Aldi mixed leaf salad which has red and green multileaf and radicchio (57p a bag) as a base and add things like lambs lettuce, pak choi, dark leaves of a romaine, some kale or spring greens (but he isn't that keen on the last 2) Morrisons also do a good mixed leaf salad bags with escarole and frisee (2 for a £1 at the moment) Lidl's mixed salad in a orange bag is OK too. Florette Classic Crispy is very good and Sainsbury's mixed leaf bags have a good mix but they are quite expensive.
I also grind some Readigrass in a blender and after I've soaked the leaves I sprinkle and mix some in to add some fibre, but that may not be necessary for your Greek.

Reactions: GSM

Zoeclare

Uk
Hi, I know you are talking about pellets but I've also seen people saying they can't get opuntia pads in the UK, I get mine from Buzzard Reptiles, you can order online for delivery.

EmiliaEvan

Worcestershire, England

Mazuri, very popular in the USA, is now available from the Shelled Warriors shop
Hi yes I use mazuri which in uk is called nutrazu. I also use zoomed grassland tortoise food. A very healthy food is pre- Alpen which sometimes take a while for a tortoise to take to it. I mix them together with hot water cool and it makes a soft mash which my two love.

Thank you, both. I've ordered some Mazuri and some pre-alpen and I hope that Blodwyn will not turn her nose up at them ?

EmiliaEvan

Worcestershire, England
Hi my tort won't touch pellets no matter how I serve them up. I've not tried nutrazu though.

For the winter I use Aldi mixed leaf salad which has red and green multileaf and radicchio (57p a bag) as a base and add things like lambs lettuce, pak choi, dark leaves of a romaine, some kale or spring greens (but he isn't that keen on the last 2) Morrisons also do a good mixed leaf salad bags with escarole and frisee (2 for a £1 at the moment) Lidl's mixed salad in a orange bag is OK too. Florette Classic Crispy is very good and Sainsbury's mixed leaf bags have a good mix but they are quite expensive.
I also grind some Readigrass in a blender and after I've soaked the leaves I sprinkle and mix some in to add some fibre, but that may not be necessary for your Greek.

Thank you for the salad recommendations. I have been feeding her Florette Crispy but she has been getting through half a bag of it a day, so it is quite pricy. I'll have to see if I can find my local morrisons and Aldi for cheaper options.

I'm not too worried about fibre as I am still able to feed her sow thistle and plantain most days.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you, both. I've ordered some Mazuri and some pre-alpen and I hope that Blodwyn will not turn her nose up at them ?
Blodwyn?
That's a Welsh name for a tort in Scotland!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you for the salad recommendations. I have been feeding her Florette Crispy but she has been getting through half a bag of it a day, so it is quite pricy. I'll have to see if I can find my local morrisons and Aldi for cheaper options.

I'm not too worried about fibre as I am still able to feed her sow thistle and plantain most days.
Florette is the best, but you can get the same mix with different bags. My tort used to get through at least 2 bags a day before I looked into the cheaper options.
Sainsbury sell bags of lambs lettuce, as do some Tesco stores but I've not seen that in my nearest Tesco stores.
I can't find plantain here in Winter but my tort loves ribwort - more than broadleaf.

EmiliaEvan

Worcestershire, England
Blodwyn?
That's a Welsh name for a tort in Scotland!!

Couldn't resist giving her a Welsh name, especially one that means flower and seem pretty suitable for a tortoise.

Thanks :) I'll have to check out my local sainsbury's for lambs lettuce, which is definitely her favourite of the florette crispy leaves.

EmiliaEvan

Worcestershire, England
I bought some pre-alpen and mazuri and she hated the pre-alpen on its own but gobbled it up when I mixed some Mazuri in there. She's now a very happy tort and I am happy that I won't have to go and buy salad so often. :)

Thank you very much for your help :)

Suey

England
Hi glad your tort has taken to the pre- alpen , you have done well to get him eat so quick. I think they love the nutrazu though and you can hide a lot in there they don’t know about. I’ve just ordered some cactus pads from buzzard reptiles so we’ll see if they will eat them, thanks Zoeclare for that information.

Suey

England
Yes I always use hot water to mix, especially the zoomed grassland pellets, they are really hard and compacted, torts seem to like the pellets a lot more when softened just as long as you wait for it to cool down before serving.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Just FYI, this Mazuri is not the same that's often mentioned on TFO.

As Suey mentioned, the Mazuri from USA is Nutrazu over there.

Zoeclare

Uk
Just FYI, this Mazuri is not the same that's often mentioned on TFO.

As Suey mentioned, the Mazuri from USA is Nutrazu over there.
Yes, I bought this once and realised it didn't look anything like the mazuri I'd seen on here, when I looked it up it is the leaf eating primate formula! ?