Which arcadia d3 basking lamp do i need?

alocin7

Location (City and/or State)
New Zealand
Arcadia d3 basking lamps come in 80w, 100w and 160w. Can someone tell me quickly what one is best for a 1 year old hermanns, or why there is even a difference? Does the higher wattage make it hotter, put out more uv or have a bigger beam spread? Thks!

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Wattage makes it hotter
It's best to see what bulb works for you before just picking a random bulb.
You'll need to measure the temps under the basking spot to figure this out.

At least if you get a higher wattage bulb you can always raise the light if you need to.

How big is your enclosure?

alocin7

New Zealand
Hi, hes only a hatchling, so at the moment in a small enclosure - 80cmx40cm. So I should get a bulb of the same wattage and check the temperature, I guess is what you mean? The lamp has to be approx 30cm from the tortoise for optimum UV, so I guess its about finding a bulb that at 30cm will give the right temperature. Is that right?

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Do you have pics of the enclosure? We might be able to help more.
That sounds like a really small tank, even for a hatchling.

alocin7

New Zealand
Yes and no.... i have a picture of the one I have ordered! Attached. Tortoise is living outside at the moment, but its getting colder here in new zealand and so I wanted to have his indoor setup ready before he needs it, which is why i am looking at bulbs now.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 11

alocin7

New Zealand
And it might sound a bit small, but he is small too and will only neef to be in there for about 3 months before going back outside when its warm enough again. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Get the 80 watt bulb for your small enclosure and set the height by the temperature under it.

You are going to have a tough time maintaining the needed moderate humidity in that open topped enclosure.

alocin7

New Zealand
Thanks. New zealands climate is naturally moderately humid so according to the breeders here thats not a concern.