Where's the watermelon of the 1970s?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm bored.
So bear with me.
I've been discussing this topic with a few people that every year, the watermelon is less red. Less sweet. No seeds. Heavier and tastes less like it should.
Where is the bright red, candy sweet watermelon of our childhood?
Have they all been hybridized away?
I haven't eaten a really good one on a very long time.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
You know, I have caught myself eating watermelon these last couple years and the thought that its just not the same always popped into my head... i thought it was just me being a jaded adult lol

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Maryland’s Eastern Shore grows & ships out tons of sweeeeet red melons every year. Problem, like you said is big stores like fruit picked early, of a uniform size, color....etc. ‘cause thats what the customers want.

Still too early here for vine ripened Eastern Shore melons - heat of Summer & melons in a few months.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Maryland’s Eastern Shore grows & ships out tons of sweeeeet red melons every year. Problem, like you said is big stores like fruit picked early, of a uniform size, color....etc. ‘cause thats what the customers want.

Still too early here for vine ripened Eastern Shore melons - heat of Summer & melons in a few months.
Lol idc what they look ! I want the taste!!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city

Now I'm jealous that you have the good stuff lol

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I don't have much memory of the 70's melon but I can definitely tell you it's not even the same as 80's melon... Whatever hybrid they are offering now is awful

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Corn is like that too now. I'm totally allergic or sensitive to the corn grown now. It doesn't taste right. I think corn crossbred with the corn grown for ethanol back in the 80's and into the 90's. It's high in nitrogen now. It's very hard to avoid corn in your diet but I have to. I have to eat real home cooking instead.

L

LasTortugasNinja

I only buy watermelon from farmers markets or produce stands. Only place to get them remotely decent.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm bored.
So bear with me.
I've been discussing this topic with a few people that every year, the watermelon is less red. Less sweet. No seeds. Heavier and tastes less like it should.
Where is the bright red, candy sweet watermelon of our childhood?
Have they all been hybridized away?
I haven't eaten a really good one on a very long time.
and remember how it felt if you got part of the 'heart' sweet as sugar ...candy...

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Imagine what you would taste like stuufed into a truck and driven thousands of miles to be eaten! Yuck. Sadly the GMO is the standard for seed to harvest time now!

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I don’t know what they tasted like in the 70s but I don’t have a problem finding good watermelon. I guess living in the southeast helps.

Most of the ones in grocery stores are bad either because they were picked too early, stored too long, or both. Usually you can tell by looking so wondering if people buying bad ones just don’t know how to pick em.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
That’s not correct. Well that comparison, what type of music do you listen too?
80's WOOHOO- Hair Rock to sorta Techno! Warrant to Flock Of Seagulls. My favorite is Huey Lewis and the News! My wife went to Monsters Of Rock at the Akron Rubberbowl!! Most not all new music is trash or rehash, but a few a genuine genius!