Where's the poop??!!!

Pittrock

I'm concerned - where and when is my baby popping??

Beanz (6mth old Hermann) is active and eating well. He gets a soak daily. Enclosure has all the humidity and temps recommended by the forum. I feel like all my bases are covered.

I've had him for 2 weeks. He has NEVER pooped during his soak and I've only seen poop 3x...(once while in palm of my hand!!!). I had fresh poop checked by reptile vet - no issues.

I thought all torts do their business during the soaking process. My Russian always did. Are babies different? If he otherwise seems healthy should I stop worrying and just assume it's somewhere buried in his substrate (2-3" of coco noir/ organic topsoil mix)? Is it possible to tell if they're impacted. I used sand/sphagnum moss first few days until people commented so changed everything from there. Any change he could be impacted from that?? What are signs/symptoms of impaction (other than not pooping)?

Please advise.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Sorry to be the bringer of gross news but your baby might be eating it. Perfectly normal behavior. Honest. :D

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I have three adult Herrmanns (1.2). I have not yet seen them "recycle" after themselves.

Bu my 12 months old Sulcata are total different story. Always very efficiently "clean-up" after him/herself. My wife watched in horror many, many times. She now she giving him/her a soak in the morning and Sulcata will do the "business" in the water........most of the time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
bouaboua said:
I have three adult Herrmanns (1.2). I have not yet seen them "recycle" after themselves.

Bu my 12 months old Sulcata are total different story. Always very efficiently "clean-up" after him/herself. My wife watched in horror many, many times. She now she giving him/her a soak in the morning and Sulcata will do the "business" in the water........most of the time.

I'll tell you what's even more gross than that...I stay outside with my dog until she's finished doing her business. If its dark I wait until morning to go back out and pick up the poop. Some mornings, if I'm not quick enough getting back outside, I can't find the poop. Not even a crumb. It's all gone! Right now there is a 40lb sulcata living in the back yard waiting for someone to adopt him. Makes me gag just to type this out.

Pittrock

YYYYYYYYUUUUCCCCKKKKK!!!! At least they're efficient! I guess I have a lot to learn. :)

Linz2491

10 Year Member!
Yvonne, I am hoping to adopt an adult sulcata. I'm in the sacramento area but my parents are near Merced. Where are you located?