Where to Plant Hibiscus?

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Georgia
I bought some Hibiscus from local nursery. Going to let it grow out a couple of months. Where's the best place to plant them ? In big pots? Straight in the ground? Inside or outside the enclosure?
A little information:
*Located in South Georgia
*Outdoor enclosure perimeter is cinder blocks
*My RFs do not have full access to enclosure yet as they are smaller and enclosure is huge. I have a space blocked off for them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's up to you. Do you want to be having to water a pot all the time or will it be easier to care for if it's in the ground.

Here in my climate, hibiscus need planted in pots because they have to be moved into the greenhouse for winter.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Size of the hibiscuses is determined by its rootball size. Here in central FL outdoors is best. Cold weather, mid 30s makes them drop leaves but they bud back quickly. Full sun makes them grow faster than shade with more blooms. I started with three and am at about 20 plants grown from cuttings. It's my redfoots main forage. Don't know how cold it gets where you are but I've had some that have frozen to the ground but have resprouted from the rootball. Hibiscus is a somewhat tropical plant so you may have to shelter them in winter. If you have neighbors with them you can take cuttings but they do take 3 to 4 months to take root.

Reactions: Tom

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
South Georgia
I'm located in South Georgia, about an hour north of Tallahassee. In the cold of winter, there may be a few nights that it drops into the 30s.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
They can be covered with bedsheets (no plastic) on winter nights. Just spread out and weigh down edges to pick up ground heat. Don't wrap tight to trunk.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Small plants planted in their pen will get mowed over and eaten. With larger plants planted in their enclosure the trunk needs to be protected. They will strip the bark if they can't get to the leaves. I've protected with wiring split loom. Elevated pots are also an option. Better secure them, if they get knocked over, they're goners.