where to place hide/house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central FL
I adopted an adult-ish Sulcata from Long Island Turtle Rescue. He's not into my plans and has a mind of his own, lol. He currently likes to bed down in a far corner of my yard that has dirt and digs in a bit. Well, he can't make a burrow there, so I need to make him a house. Right now I am picking him up each evening and taking him inside and releasing him each morning.

My husband and I are working together to find a night place for this guy. I understand why he picked this area and it is reinforced pretty deep under the fence. But he has no protection from predators and it is too far from the outlet should he need heat for the night.

My question is: Should I build his house where he wants to go in the corner, or in the spot that works best for me?

I had an original nighttime enclosure, but he's a bit bigger than I thought and it didn't work out once he got here. So I'm on to Plan B this weekend.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
You can make it where it's convenient for you and 'train' him to like/use it by putting him in it every night. You could make a door and lock him in at night if predators are a concern.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
as you know sulcatas are often stubborn. If he finds a favorite spot he may choose that one every time. If at all possible build it wher ehe wants to sleep, otherwise you may build a nice night time house he may not want to use

Roxie

5 Year Member
Central FL
Yes, I think he has found his spot so we will build there. It has been less than a week, but he already has a grazing pattern that allows him to end up at the corner by 5-6pm. It's really no big deal. I'm sure we can run power to that side of the house, I had just planned for him to sleep at the other side of the house. You know that poem about the best laid schemes of mice and men...

He is such a sweetie! Very friendly and gentle. Curious about toes.

Status
Not open for further replies.