Where to order out of season

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Floresville TX
I have a big problem with little bugs coming from enclosure. Cant contain them anymore. I've been spraying my carpet but obviously can't spray enclosure so I want to clean it all out with my shop vac and just use top soil dirt for now. Problem I live in a small town so we're can I order it cheap? I was thinking of calling walmart and making a spetial order n a bit. Because there its like 2 to 3 $ a bag. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ;)

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
RE: Where to order or of season

Home Improvement stores like Lowes & Home Depot both carry Organic Soils as well as Walmart. Just make sure it doesn't have any fertilizers or perlite/vermiculite in it.

Hope this helps.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

I hate to be the one to tell you this. You will most likely get the bugs back, even with soil. What you need to do is boil or bake the substrate. Then at the first sign of bugs, bake or boil it again. This will have to be part of your routine. The baking and boiling holds them off longer and eventually you might not get them at all. Before adding any new substrate, bake or boil it.

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Floresville TX
Re: Where to order or of season

Okay thank you! Ya I only have a walmart and heb im in a small town. I'll call walmart and see if I can find a garden place here. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

These little bugs/flies are a normal part of any warm damp reptile enclosure. There are a few types, but they are all harmless detrivores and they won't bother your tortoise.

Do you wanna know what I do about them? Nothing.

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Floresville TX
Re: RE: Where to order or of season

Tom said:
These little bugs/flies are a normal part of any warm damp reptile enclosure. There are a few types, but they are all harmless detrivores and they won't bother your tortoise.

Do you wanna know what I do about them? Nothing.

But Tom there so annoying LOL thered so many. Just wanted to start over and see if it downsizes the little bugers