Votes: 1 100.0%
  • vivarium

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sophiebuhler

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi everyone!
I'm struggling to find somewhere to keep my spur-thighed tortoises when it is too cold to let them go in the garden at night. What is best to keep them in a vivarium or tortoise table? Also what sizes are needed?
I read that a vivarium does not allow enough ventilation, but a tortoise table means that they can get cold if the temperature is not controlled.
Thank you so much for your help!!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Welcome to TFO! Pictures and more deatil- age, size, lighting, heat sources. Please go to https://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/sulcata-tortoises.88/ and check out the topics pinned at the top for care of a Sulcata (I hope I read that right) Also search @Tom for an awesome night box. There also ways to convert small sheds that owners have posted pictures of. Good luck since London is generally cooler than warmer!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's much easier to maintain the correct indoor temperatures in some sort of closed table. But I'm curious why you don't allow the tortoise to brumate (hibernate)?

sophiebuhler

London
Thank you for the response!
We do let them hibernate, but it has been a very warm spring in London, and it is getting too warm during the day for them to be in hibernation, but then temperatures are falling a night.
I figured that a closed table would be better for controlling temperature, but I am worried about lack of ventilation!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the response!
We do let them hibernate, but it has been a very warm spring in London, and it is getting too warm during the day for them to be in hibernation, but then temperatures are falling a night.
I figured that a closed table would be better for controlling temperature, but I am worried about lack of ventilation!
Unless you make the vivarium completely air tight, you don't have to worry about ventilation.

The main problem with a store bought vivarium is that it is too small for anything but a baby tortoises. You'll need to build something around 4x8' for an adult greek tortoise.

Mo & Bolt

Uk
Tom , you can buy large secondhand old chest of draws, wardrobe or book case , lay it on its side and cover it with a piece of old double glazing . Leaving a space for air. I put mine in the spare bedroom , then put them out at day if warm enough, but with a shelter insulated from the ground full of plenty of hay , where they can hide if it blows up cold before you get in. Don't think you could do that with a young one .