Where to find orchid bark?

smjohns

Location (City and/or State)
AZ
I’ve been looking for cheeper options of substrate for my sulcata tortoise. And I’ve noticed people have been using orchid bark but I have no idea where to get that. So if anyone could help that would be amazing, thank you:)

Also if you know of any other substrate options and where to get them that would be perfect too!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ask for fir bark at your local garden center. Not a big box hardware store or a chain garden center, but a local shop. They might also sell it as orchid bark for people who grow orchids. You want fine grade. I use this one for $10 a bag:
Orchid Bark.JPG

smjohns

AZ
Thank you everyone so much for your help!!!

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
All - does anyone use Fir Bark for large tortoises? I love it for babies but have never tried it for my adult radiated tortoises. The fine grade seems like a 30 pound tortoise's foot would sink right through it. Maybe the course grade? I have used cypress for years but it gets really dusty.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
All - does anyone use Fir Bark for large tortoises? I love it for babies but have never tried it for my adult radiated tortoises. The fine grade seems like a 30 pound tortoise's foot would sink right through it. Maybe the course grade? I have used cypress for years but it gets really dusty.
I use it for my adult Burmese Stars when they are indoors for the winter. Works great. I really like it. Once it is damp it does compact well, and with time it also breaks down a bit and compacts even more. They have no problem walking on it when new, though.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
I use it for my adult Burmese Stars when they are indoors for the winter. Works great. I really like it. Once it is damp it does compact well, and with time it also breaks down a bit and compacts even more. They have no problem walking on it when new, though.
Great. Does it get dusty as they compact it?