Where to find/buy the right foods?

Jenanprid

Hi i have read a lot of things what to feed my tortoise but i am unsure where to get them from. I no people say leafy greens buy there all green and i no some of the green food will poison them so what do i buy? Its really annoying

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Hi i have read a lot of things what to feed my tortoise but i am unsure where to get them from. I no people say leafy greens buy there all green and i no some of the green food will poison them so what do i buy? Its really annoying
Have you been to http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/index.php
The search feature would be handy while shopping. Just type in the name of the veggy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can buy dark, leafy greens in the produce section of your market. Look for turnip greens, endive, escarole. ( @JoesMum do you have any suggestions for a person in the UK?)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Write a list of the plants that grow around you and those that you can buy in store and look them up online on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability to feed.
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

If you can’t identify a plant, post a photo in our Plant ID section and someone will help you :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You can buy dark, leafy greens in the produce section of your market. Look for turnip greens, endive, escarole. ( @JoesMum do you have any suggestions for a person in the UK?)

A little translation required :D

You won’t be able to buy turnip greens in the UK

Endive is sold in the UK as Chicory

Escarole is often sold as Frisee Lettuce (the one with really curly thin leaves)

As indicated earlier, searching The Tortoise Table is easiest because you get round local availability.

The weeds are coming to the end of season now so there are limited supplies of dandelions, etc.

A pelleted food, soaked in water until it’s soft, can help as a supplement in winter.

I use Komodo Fruit and Flower. Mazuri can be bought in the Shelled Warriors Shop:
http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/

The Shelled Warriors Shop also sells tortoise friendly seeds if you fancy growing your own on the windowsill :)

A tiny pinch of calcium powder should be sprinkled on food three times a week.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Iceberg Lettuce is feed in moderation. See: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=179&c=8#.We-APaXTXo4

What you then have to do is read more by going into the listing where is explains
Iceberg Lettuce has less nutritional value than other types of lettuce, but the high water content makes it useful to feed for purposes of hydration in hot weather.

So yes it has few nutrients, but it is useful for hydration in hot weather. It isn't harmful and it shouldn't be the main part of the diet. Like all lettuce it has little fibre too so personally I would have it as feed sparingly.

The Tortoise Table errs on the side of caution - it won't recommend anything harmful, but do go beyond the initial search and read why they recommend what they do.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I know it’s hard; there sure is a lot of conflicting information out there! :eek:

A lot of it is old and/or just plain wrong. You’ll get better information here than most places because it’s more up to date.

The Tortoise Table is a good starting resource, particularly if you have a yard or access to some unsprayed park/public lands or fields and want to check something you already have.

Jenanprid

Ok thanks everyone for your help. Can i ask what hight should i have my heat lamp its 80w and also ive notice my tortoises eye looks sore and it always has one eye shut its been like this since monday. How much for the treatment do any of you know. I dont care how much i just want to make sure i have enough in my bank

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok thanks everyone for your help. Can i ask what hight should i have my heat lamp its 80w and also ive notice my tortoises eye looks sore and it always has one eye shut its been like this since monday. How much for the treatment do any of you know. I dont care how much i just want to make sure i have enough in my bank

Only your thermometer can answer the mounting height question. Start with what the manufacturer recommends on the package, and adjust a little depending on what your thermometer says.

You eye issue indicates a problem. We'll need more info to help:
What species?
What size and age?
What size enclosure?
What substrate? How damp is the substrate?
Where are you? Please go into your User Profile and put in a location so we don't have to ask every time.
What heating and lighting equipment? UV? What type?
How often do you soak the tortoise?