Where to buy?

RachaelP

Hi all,

I'm brand new here!

I've always been fascinated with turtles/tortoises, but have only owned a couple red eared sliders in my lifetime. I've always wanted a Sulcata but never had the room or lived in the right environment for one. My husband and I recently planted roots in sunny FL and we have around an acre of space (so with some convincing on the husband's part) I plan on buying myself one for my birthday coming up.

I debated for quite a while on a rescued/older one or a buying a hatchling from a breeder. I think I'd prefer to go that route, and watch them grow from the start.

I've been reading and digesting the WEALTH of information on this site. I know enough to avoid pet stores. Are there any particular breeders on this forum or anywhere else you can personally recommend? I want to buy from someone with HUMANE practices.

rearlpettway

Hi all,

I'm brand new here!

I've always been fascinated with turtles/tortoises, but have only owned a couple red eared sliders in my lifetime. I've always wanted a Sulcata but never had the room or lived in the right environment for one. My husband and I recently planted roots in sunny FL and we have around an acre of space (so with some convincing on the husband's part) I plan on buying myself one for my birthday coming up.

I debated for quite a while on a rescued/older one or a buying a hatchling from a breeder. I think I'd prefer to go that route, and watch them grow from the start.

I've been reading and digesting the WEALTH of information on this site. I know enough to avoid pet stores. Are there any particular breeders on this forum or anywhere else you can personally recommend? I want to buy from someone with HUMANE practices.

Talk with Tom or Dean S on this forum.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
There are Turtle and Tortoise societies in FLA, and through them and "rescues"* you might be able to find one for an adoption fee or for no fee. A friend of mine here in California has an actual rescue, she visits potential adopters to see for herself that the yard is appropriate, that practice is a good indicator that the rescue is about the animals and not the $$$.

Many available are still smallish, though often not babies. A few pound animal still has many years of growth to observe.

*rescue has come to be an overused term being adopted by people who might not meet a traditional idea of a rescue, so posting a source here can end up being a good screen for the "rescue".

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings and welcome. You can also reach out to @Lancecham here on the Forum. Lance raises some beauties the right way, healthy, well hydrated and ready to grow. Our little guy is not yet three and almost 40 pounds!

Lance will answer any and all questions and will arrange for shipping as well. Good luck.

Here's our sully

image.jpeg

Last edited: