Where should I place his outdoor oasis... (with photos.)

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
Okay. This is the last time I am posting for a week. Promise.

I made Tuleo an outdoor oasis (Sulcata - not quite 2 years old.) Recap - he will be in this only during the day, I work from home (you can see my view in photo 2) and yes it will have some type of cover. We plan on moving in a year (ish) so this is just temporary till we can build his real outdoor oasis he will stay in 24/7. It will be filled half way, densely planted to keep it nice and cool, two water sources, hides, watered every morning, etc. (I live in Southeast Texas currently where the summers are hot and humid.)

Right now I need to figure out where I should place it. Once I place it I am not moving this sucker because it will take a small fortune to fill with dirt and it's huge. (5' x 12' x 36" tall)

In the first photo you can see our yard. To the left is where I had it originally (horizontal with the house) where it was in 1/2 morning sun till around 3pm when it turns full shaded. Temps have gotten to 89 these last few weeks and it has been totally cool to the touch even when baking in full sun all day. That surprises me. I had even planned on making a type of canopy to keep it double shaded on one area of it (and still will if kept here.)

Then I thought about putting it between the Crepe Myrtle tree and climbing rose by the coop (shown in photo - both tortoise safe.) It would have dappled shade/full shade all day. I worry some of the things I have won't grow as well in it (tortoise grass mixes, full sun plants) and wonder if it will give him ENOUGH sun, but wonder if it won't be better. Falling Myrtle leaves in it this fall will drive me nuts but is another option.

Thoughts?

oasis1.jpg oasis2.jpg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
If it were me.... I would do the sun option and make artificial shade for him to get a cool option if needed. Its easier to make shade than sun :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Me too.
Myrtle is recommended by the tortoise table for shade as it is not known to be toxic, so the fallen leaves are not a massive concern.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Thank you so much everyone!!! That is my original thought as well but I have been thinking about this too long (brain freeze) so I thought I would get some fresh eyes to look and give input. I appreciate it!!