Where should I buy a new tortoise from?

Fish Breath

Location (City and/or State)
NY
So I’m thinking of buying a new RT tortoise after I move, in a year or two, where I’ll get a much bigger enclosure for my current RT. Where should I buy one from? I’m looking at places like underground reptiles online, I don’t want to buy one in stores and it has to be captive bred. Where should I buy from? I’m in NY and I want to make sure I get a happy and healthy tort that I can breed with my current RT. Thanks In advance.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
But how much would one cost? I don’t have a very big budget

I'm not completely sure about her in general but captive raised Russian hatchlings would usually go about $200-250 depending on the breeder and quality. There are definitely cheaper, backyard breeder sources but you'll also run into the chance that they may not be raised in the same way as a well-started tortoise, a phrased coined by this forum. This means there may be a higher chance of the tortoise developing problems because a breeder didn't start them correctly, problems that may cause the young tort to die early even from proper care.

This is not me trying to scare into emptying your pockets. This is just me saying there are countless stories in this forum and others about hatchlings immediately becoming sick and dying in as little as a month after receiving them from non-recommended sources like those douchebags from Tortoise Town.

Fish Breath

NY
I'm not completely sure about her in general but captive raised Russian hatchlings would usually go about $200-250 depending on the breeder and quality. There are definitely cheaper, backyard breeder sources but you'll also run into the chance that they may not be raised in the same way as a well-started tortoise, a phrased coined by this forum. This means there may be a higher chance of the tortoise developing problems because a breeder didn't start them correctly, problems that may cause the young tort to die early even from proper care.

This is not me trying to scare into emptying your pockets. This is just me saying there are countless stories in this forum and others about hatchlings immediately becoming sick and dying in as little as a month after receiving them from non-recommended sources like those douchebags from Tortoise Town.
Ok thanks I’ll just do 10 minutes a day for 2 years research on that

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Ok thanks I’ll just do 10 minutes a day for 2 years research on that

Be sure to compare what research you find with what tortoise forum specifically says about that subject. Tortoise forum usually has the most up to date information out there relating to tortoise care.

Koopas KC

Millcreek, Utah
I too am actively educating myself in preparing for another baby. I had decided that I want an Eastern Box Turtle. I contemplated a 3-toed Box Turtle but decided not to go with that species. For the last couple of weeks I have become interested in a Russian Tortoise or a Hermann's Tortoise. My plan has been to buy a hatchling Eastern Box from ATC when he has some. Obviously I have more research to do. I can say that I've looked at some previously mentioned 'breeders' or 'online pet stores' and was disappointed.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Not from underground reptiles...

@GBtortoises @Carol S might be good place to start
Do NOT get a tortoise from UNDERGROUND REPTILES.
This is from first hand experience.
Also, from first hand experience...
Trust SOUTHERN REPTILES

Skip K

Virginia
We’ve gotten our torts in numerous ways. Each way had its pros and cons. Rehomes cost nothing but could have not perfect carapaces and maybe other issues from improper husbandry. We’ve bought torts in pet shops to rescue them from horrible living conditions...but could have the same issues as rehomes. You can buy at reptile expos...with the pros being you can eye a tort before buying and don’t have to pay a shipping fee from a breeder... but selection can be limited. You can order and have mailed to you a tort from a breeder with the pros being breeders online usually have a larger selection of species but the cons are expensive shipping rates...and depending on your location you might be restricted to certain times of the year for ordering...ie...shipping a tort in cold weather or extremely hot weather could be a issue as you don’t know the conditions of the carriers delivery vehicles. Had a UPS man tell me his truck can reach 110 or more in summer and if your delivery is at the end of the route...well...and another issue is you don’t know the breeders husbandry. I, for the first time, took a chance and ordered 3 baby Sulcatas through the mail. I ordered in late spring so the temps would be as ideal as possible for shipping. All three arrived with very serious dehydration issues...which took me over a month to correct ( with the help of people in this forum). They could not have gotten that severely dehydrated in the 24 hours it took to ship with the temps here.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I’m thinking of buying a new RT tortoise after I move, in a year or two, where I’ll get a much bigger enclosure for my current RT. Where should I buy one from? I’m looking at places like underground reptiles online, I don’t want to buy one in stores and it has to be captive bred. Where should I buy from? I’m in NY and I want to make sure I get a happy and healthy tort that I can breed with my current RT. Thanks In advance.
Buy directly from a breeder who start babies correctly. Here is what I mean by correctly:

Here is what can happen when you buy from someone who starts them incorrectly, too dry, or outside all day:

I highly recommend @Carol S and @kanalomele based on first hand experience with them.

zovick

10 Year Member!
A quick note here: even though GBtortoises is in upstate NY which could be very convenient for you, I know for a fact that he no longer breeds Russian Tortoises. He does breed other species which might be of interest to you and he is very conscientious and starts the babies well.