Where?? Organic foods

Aridlipzero

Location (City and/or State)
Monroe
2 Russian Tortoises 2yr old & 3yr old
There's not many plants in stores right now, how are y'all getting hibiscus leaves? Succulents? Things not found in a grocery store? I'm struggling to create a balance from store bought foods, I am ordering mazuri, I rinse everything from the store going for anything that says organic. Red cabbage, carrots, romaine, better leaves, cilantro, squash. A few of those were just introduced this week, there was no interest in collard leaves but I'm trying again next week, no squash or red cabbage, but adding a small account of pumpkin, romaine (because it's what the run for even though it holds little value) cilantro. I'll add carrots back about Wednesday, I'm only going to give pumpkin 2x possibly 3x before I cut it. I bought dandelion dried flowers, they wouldn't touch it. I have no other known flower to buy them right now. I do rotate foods, and besides leaves the carrots, squash, and pumpkin I'll give is shaved with a peeler into strips, not given in chucks just shavings. Can this diet last till spring?? Suggestions on what to buy and where please

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There's not many plants in stores right now, how are y'all getting hibiscus leaves? Succulents? Things not found in a grocery store? I'm struggling to create a balance from store bought foods, I am ordering mazuri, I rinse everything from the store going for anything that says organic. Red cabbage, carrots, romaine, better leaves, cilantro, squash. A few of those were just introduced this week, there was no interest in collard leaves but I'm trying again next week, no squash or red cabbage, but adding a small account of pumpkin, romaine (because it's what the run for even though it holds little value) cilantro. I'll add carrots back about Wednesday, I'm only going to give pumpkin 2x possibly 3x before I cut it. I bought dandelion dried flowers, they wouldn't touch it. I have no other known flower to buy them right now. I do rotate foods, and besides leaves the carrots, squash, and pumpkin I'll give is shaved with a peeler into strips, not given in chucks just shavings. Can this diet last till spring?? Suggestions on what to buy and where please
It takes time to intro Duce any new food. Like the collards. You have to mince up tiny amounts and mix in with favorites. Over time, up the ratio of new to old. Takes weeks and you have to do it slowly with all new foods.

Look to @Kapidolo Farms for lots of dried leaf options that you can mix in to the grocery store greens.

At the store favor endive and escarole. Add in arugula, cilantro, dandelion greens, and more for variety.

Do you house them separately? If not you need to.

More diet info here:

Aridlipzero

Monroe
It takes time to intro Duce any new food. Like the collards. You have to mince up tiny amounts and mix in with favorites. Over time, up the ratio of new to old. Takes weeks and you have to do it slowly with all new foods.

Look to @Kapidolo Farms for lots of dried leaf options that you can mix in to the grocery store greens.

At the store favor endive and escarole. Add in arugula, cilantro, dandelion greens, and more for variety.

Do you house them separately? If not you need to.

More diet info here:
Why do I need to house then separately? There's been no issues with them together and food is given in multiple spots in the enclosure

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why do I need to house then separately? There's been no issues with them together and food is given in multiple spots in the enclosure
There is an issue with them together daily. Whenever you house two animals together one will be dominant and the other submissive. This is a fact of nature. The submissive wants to leave the territory of the dominant but it can't. The dominant wants it to leave, and keeps telling it to GTFO in tortoise body language, but it can't since it is properly enclosed. This is very stressful for both of them. The chronic low grade stress can hamper the immune system, reduce appetite, reduce activity level, and cause all sorts of problems. You may think there is no problem, but it IS a problem. Here is an example of what typically happens:

They should never live in pairs. Groups can sometimes work, but never pairs.

Aridlipzero

Monroe
There is an issue with them together daily. Whenever you house two animals together one will be dominant and the other submissive. This is a fact of nature. The submissive wants to leave the territory of the dominant but it can't. The dominant wants it to leave, and keeps telling it to GTFO in tortoise body language, but it can't since it is properly enclosed. This is very stressful for both of them. The chronic low grade stress can hamper the immune system, reduce appetite, reduce activity level, and cause all sorts of problems. You may think there is no problem, but it IS a problem. Here is an example of what typically happens:

They should never live in pairs. Groups can sometimes work, but never pairs.
Since their enclosure was two out together I kept they pieces and the divider is currently drying and will be put in tonight, some stuff I'll have to buy another but most stuff I already had 2 of anyways. They will have less space until spring but one enclosure is 2ftx3.5ft for each and that'll do to spring for each that much space. Thank you they will be separated tonight.

Aridlipzero

Monroe
Since their enclosure was two out together I kept they pieces and the divider is currently drying and will be put in tonight, some stuff I'll have to buy another but most stuff I already had 2 of anyways. They will have less space until spring but one enclosure is 2ftx3.5ft for each and that'll do to spring for each that much space. Thank you they will be separated tonight.
They are separated now! Hopefully this explains why Trixie has been acting different, more shy, not so much eagerness to come to me when food comes. I got one a month ago and the other got here little more then a week ago.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
It’s great that you took the advice and separated them. Each requires an enclosure of at least 4ft x 8ft to be able to thrive. If you can go even larger, that would be better. Although they’re small, they require a lot of room to roam to aid in the digestion of the food they eat. It also helps to keep their nails trim, amongst other things. Spring is an awful long time for them to live in such a small space. I’ll repost the thread that Tom linked above. I recommend taking the time to thoroughly read it. I’ve had my little guy for 2 years and still refer back to the care information from time to time.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I feed my five Russians mostly spring mix.

I give them Mazuri or one of the other kibbles 1-2 times a week.

I give them butternut squash from my supermarket freezer section (peeled and cubed), thawed out, 1-2 times a week.

I have a mix of dried flowers and plants that I shake over their greens, and generally toss the kibble or butternut in a little bit of opuntia flour.

In the summer, or when my market has other good stuff, I supplment.

Jamie

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I feed my five Russians mostly spring mix.

I give them Mazuri or one of the other kibbles 1-2 times a week.

I give them butternut squash from my supermarket freezer section (peeled and cubed), thawed out, 1-2 times a week.

I have a mix of dried flowers and plants that I shake over their greens, and generally toss the kibble or butternut in a little bit of opuntia flour.

In the summer, or when my market has other good stuff, I supplment.

Jamie
That's interesting about the opuntia flour. I didn't know that was available somewhere.?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thank you for being a responsible pet owner and separating your little ones. No tortoises should be housed in pairs; Russians are particularly agressive.

There is no shame in supplementing over the winter. New foods are always hard; dry ones are sometimes the hardest. Do the best you can to offer a varied diet and build on that.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I got some from Kapidola (sp?) Farms
I was wondering about them also if they had it when I saw this thread. I'd rather buy from them because they're here on the forum if I would use it. Sapphire may not really want it. Even though he'll chow down on zucchini and okra he's not interested in cactus.?