Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm looking for something to do that doesn't involve work, so thought I'd take a few pictures of my leopard habitat to share with you. This is a view of their yard:

Leopardpen-1.jpg

And here's what the outside of their shed looks like:

leopardpen-2.jpg

That contraption standing up against the old house on the left of the picture is just a framework that I used to set down on the cement stepping stones with a lattice cover for my baby. This past summer he graduated to being a big guy and I allow him in the large pen now. The "cave" to the right of the shed is opened up for them during the summer months. I keep piles of hay in there for them to burrow into. As you can see, the outside of the shed is warping and pulling away from the 2x4's so I'm in the process of cutting some Styrofoam insulation and plywood to re-do the outside.

Here's a shot of inside the shed:

leopardpen-4.jpg

Looks like I should forget about trying to get out of work and get busy cleaning up the shed. This is a shot of one of the pig blankets. Who said that leopards don't poop as much as other tortoises?

leopardpen-6.jpg

The night's have been only down in the mid-50's this week, and both of the big girls are off the pig blankets. That's a clue for me that they are set too high. I have cinder blocks with lattice across the top just to help them feel more secure in their shed. In the wild, they snuggle down under bushes to rest, so I try to offer them the same security in their shed. Here's a shot of one of the girls and of my 3 year old...maybe he's 4 now. He's pretty pyramided because I raised him on oat hay pellets without enough humidity.

leopardpen-5.jpg

leopardpen-7.jpg

Ok...I'm off to go pick up poop!

Yvonne

maevamichelle

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
awwwwwwwwwww Cute (except the poopies :) )
Thnx for sharing! I can't wait til mine grows up to be a little person.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
galvinkaos said:
Nice Yvonne. Looks like you have alot of space there.

Dawna

I live on an acre of land. There are two horse pastures, however, there is no front, side or backyards. All turtle/tortoise pens.

Yvonne

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
emysemys said:
There are two horse pastures, however, there is no front, side or backyards. All turtle/tortoise pens.

Yvonne

Sounds like a good yard to me. :D

Dawna

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Great pics Yvonne. It's amazing the things we do to get out of work.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yvonne, question.. You said "who says Leopards don't poop as much as other tortoises" Mine seems to poop only once a week and if my timing is right for the soak, that is when he poops. But when my timing is off and he poos in his habitat it is not the firm, well formed poop like my Russians. And its alot of poo too! Wow! After I aquired him we went to the vet and got dewormed because the stool sample came back as positive for parasites and he also had antibiotic injections because his plastron was soft. Since then he has been getting the calcium supplements and correct UVB plus heat and his plastron has firmed up. I have been trying to get him to eat something other than leafy greens but no luck. I cut up and sprinkle grass on his food as well as finely chopped in the blender, timothy hay and alfalfa grass. He still does not have the firm poo that I think he should. Is it not suppose to be firm like the Russians or what?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Thanks for the Leo tour Yvonne. I enjoyed it and Love the way you get out of work if only for a little time.

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
Wow- my tort poops 1-2 times a day (russian).

My female usually only once a day but the male does not eat everyday so its even less poo from him. They are so easy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
torts4me said:
I have been trying to get him to eat something other than leafy greens but no luck. I cut up and sprinkle grass on his food as well as finely chopped in the blender, timothy hay and alfalfa grass. He still does not have the firm poo that I think he should. Is it not suppose to be firm like the Russians or what?

Well, mine only graze. I give them moistened Mazuri once a week, but the rest of the time they eat grass. And their poop is firm grass pellets. But the tortoises that I feed grocery store greens to have soft squishy poops. I wouldn't feed too much of that alfalfa grass. Just keep putting the timothy hay in their greens and don't worry too much about soft poop. When he gets outside and starts grazing, the poop will firm up.

Yvonne

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
emysemys said:
torts4me said:
I have been trying to get him to eat something other than leafy greens but no luck. I cut up and sprinkle grass on his food as well as finely chopped in the blender, timothy hay and alfalfa grass. He still does not have the firm poo that I think he should. Is it not suppose to be firm like the Russians or what?

Well, mine only graze. I give them moistened Mazuri once a week, but the rest of the time they eat grass. And their poop is firm grass pellets. But the tortoises that I feed grocery store greens to have soft squishy poops. I wouldn't feed too much of that alfalfa grass. Just keep putting the timothy hay in their greens and don't worry too much about soft poop. When he gets outside and starts grazing, the poop will firm up.

Yvonne

Hi, I thought I would show you what MY leo's pen looks like today!!!
Springs coming(after 10 inches last night) Of course she is not in there now!

Attachments

• leopen.jpg
    leopen.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 41
M

Maggie Cummings

Nay said:
emysemys said:
torts4me said:

Yvonne

Hi, I thought I would show you what MY leo's pen looks like today!!!
Springs coming(after 10 inches last night) Of course she is not in there now!

That's absolutely awesome!!!

Diana Stone

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
torts4me said:

Yvonne

my bad, I meant to orchard grass, not alfalfa grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.