Where in your houses/apartments/etc do you keep your tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobesterTort

5 Year Member
I'm debating where to keep mine in my house. It's either my family room or my bedroom, but I'd rather keep him in the family room because my room is smaller, but the family room is in the basement and it is cooler down there (but my room is the coldest room in the house anyway). I unfortunately don't have an extra bedroom and I will be keeping him in a rubbermaid container.

Just curious as to where you keep all your torts! (Mine is a Russian btw).

andred82vert

5 Year Member
i keep mine in my room. It gets HOT in the summer, but I have a portable AC so mort doesn't get over heated.

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Upstate NY
Turtle's (Greek tort) table is in my son's room, after he moved out I got Turtle so it worked out nicely. If/when he moves back home (after he finishes this semester, his last, of college) I will have to squish Turtle in my room, that should be fun 'cause the dog crate takes up a lot of space. I'll have some rearranging to do!
I keep my snakes and geckos in my living room, the tanks/cages line 2 walls. I find that cuts down on guests. LOL.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My "house" enclosures are only temporary. Most of my animals live outside year round. But for those few that are indoors, baby box turtles, Little Emmie (Manouria) and a sick box turtle, they are in plastic tubs in my laundry room.

I also have some little desert tortoises, but they are in cinder block houses on my car port, outside.

100_0932.jpg

They are in the one with the lid propped open. On sunny days, no matter the temperature, I prop open the lids so they can get fresh air.

100_0933.jpg

Yvonne

TobesterTort

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
My "house" enclosures are only temporary. Most of my animals live outside year round. But for those few that are indoors, baby box turtles, Little Emmie (Manouria) and a sick box turtle, they are in plastic tubs in my laundry room.

I also have some little desert tortoises, but they are in cinder block houses on my car port, outside.

100_0932.jpg

They are in the one with the lid propped open. On sunny days, no matter the temperature, I prop open the lids so they can get fresh air.

100_0933.jpg

Yvonne

Wow, that's an impressive setup! Unfortunately for now, I will have to keep Toby inside because it's just too cold up here right now (I Live in the NE)to put him outside. Your set up is going to put mine to shame! lol

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
I have animal cages lining every wall. I love having them everywhere. I have them next to my bed, by my dresser, by my kitchen, everywhere. Now I just need to build some shelves so I can get a few more spiders. And in the summer, the torts get my porch. It is also too cold here for my baby tort to be outside. But one day he will have is own house outside, heated and everything. LOL

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I keep mine in the backyard, but our climate is much warmer than yours.

Would burrowing noises keep you up at night? If so, the family room might be better than your bedroom. ;)

TobesterTort

5 Year Member
Hah, I didn't even think about that! Yeah, I might have to move him! He's in his rubbermaid container but he keeps hanging out in the corners. I think he thinks he's trying to get out haha.

K412

5 Year Member
VA
Mine is in my room as well.
I have plenty of frogs too and my snake and gecko so tanks line my room.
I like the moonglo bulbs at night, and the sounds from the water and the crickets make me feel like I'm in a jungle.:) So peaceful.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
We keep our tort in the great room, in the dining area between the kitchen and living room. It's perfect as he gets a lot of attention, and the light won't wake us up, nor his noise. I would wake care to place the tort enclosure away from outside walls (cold), and up off the floor to minimize drafts, but otherwise if it's a cool area you can always just add more heat. Covering part of the enclosure and using Ceramic Heat Emitters is a very flexible solution to adapt as the temperature changes (you should check the temps daily to adjust heating as needed). I wouldn't like him in our room. Someday he'll probably be in the office, but only if it's right off the living room. We have a two story now and I like him being in the center of the action. Best wishes.

Shalon

5 Year Member
Right now she's in my bedroom but as soon as I get her table finished she will be in the dining room

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I have them in my office as well! I like a room that I can raise the temprature to 75F or so. I do not like my whole house that warm.
They say to pick a place away from traffic and drafts. You don't want the constant commotion of people walking by causing stress!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The ones inside are now kept in the front room and what use to be the dining room. :D In the past, we have had some in the bedrooms too. Where we place them depends a lot on how much noise and human activity they can take along with temperature and lighting. I enjoy having them where I can watch them as I am sitting reading, computering or relaxing. Plus like having to walk by everybody often throughout the day. That way I can see more of their activities and catch any problems earlier.

S

stells

I have most outside in my insulated and heated tortoise shed... the others are in my room...

TobesterTort

5 Year Member
I think I should move Toby out of my room. Too much activity. And since he's new to us, my family likes to stare at him! lol. He won't eat if we watch him! lol

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Olive is in our dining room, my husband sits at his computer in the mornings looking over at her so she gets fed when she comes out like a clock at 11am.. she is on a timer.. haha
When she gets bigger we will keep her in the basement where she can roam a 12x12 pen.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Mine were in my living room, Lots of digging and mating noises lol. But I now have them set up in my spare bedroom. And the Girls are seperated from the boys, for rest :). When I bring mine inside because their winter homes are smaller than their summer homes they do tend to go to the corners and or try and climb the sides. But they eventually settle down.

TobesterTort

5 Year Member
Haha, that's funny you mentioned about your tortoise going in the corner. Toby sleeps and "rests" in the corners of his enclosure. In fact, I don't think he sleeps anywhere else. I guess it's normal behavior? lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.