Where have the Erosa gone?

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Well observed, I’ve seen them eat wood on a few occasions. I’ve observed them eating dried leaves quite a lot too. If I put fresh greens in they don’t touch it for about 3 days.
Could the tortoises be after some kind of fungus or mold that is forming. Perhaps they can smell it forming even though we can not see it. Or perhaps even some kind of "fermentation" is occurring?
There has not been alot of documentation of their diet in the wild has there? Mostly what has been observed from the wild caught specimens?

Bambam1989

East Texas
When you set up an enclosure think shallow ponds and marsh land. @Jacqui has a very nice outdoor enclosure.
Does the constant exposure to a wet environment increase the risk of "shell rot" or, in your experience, do they seem to be naturally resistant to fungal infections?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
There’s not much info out there. Leaf litter, spagnhum moss on top of moist coir/soil is what I found best. Never mind fancy hides, a pile of leaves is what they like.

Mine like a bit of mandarin from time to time.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Shell rot in my opinion is caused by bacteria of something else rotting passing to the plastron.
I had one of my females that spent 20hrs a day in water. Never got shell rot. I had another that got shell rot from sitting on mouldy bay leaves. Turns out bayleaf mounds real easy.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Shell rot in my opinion is caused by bacteria of something else rotting passing to the plastron.
I had one of my females that spent 20hrs a day in water. Never got shell rot. I had another that got shell rot from sitting on mouldy bay leaves. Turns out bayleaf mounds real easy.
I have also discovered that bay leaves mold quickly.. cilantro seems to also.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Take note, bayleaf, not basil. Don’t know why I wrote basil :confused:
On your list of foods from earlier, I noticed that no succulents were listed. Ive also noticed that none were listed in most of the other food recommendations for them that I found online. Do they show no interest in them?
That question seems pretty unimportant but it was something I observed.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I’ve had some worrying times with these guys not eating greens. They are just not interested. I’ve starved them for weeks to try and get them to eat greens and failed.
Occasionally they eat dandelion and rocket. But prefer dried leaves.
My diet is, mushrooms, worms, slugs, snails, papaya, plums, banana, kiwi, mango, and mandarin. I just hope they drag down rocket and dandelion with the other foods, I occasionally give them catfood or chicks cut up in winter when slugs are dormant.
Compost bin provides worms.

They won’t even eat strawberries.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I’ve had some worrying times with these guys not eating greens. They are just not interested. I’ve starved them for weeks to try and get them to eat greens and failed.
My diet is, mushrooms, worms, slugs, snails, papaya, plums, banana, kiwi, mango, and mandarin. I just hope they drag down rocket and dandelion with the other foods, I occasionally give them catfood or chicks cut up in winter when slugs are dormant.

I wonder what their primary source of fiber is in the wild..
The chicks sound like a nice source of calcium with the bones. Do you provide mineral supplements?
I would just have to eat the strawberries myself.. with whipped cream and angel food cake[emoji1]

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I don’t supplement the hingebacks. No need if you feed live foods and fruit.
I offer cuttlebone too, which they chomp on from time to time.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
They lay 2 to 4 eggs per clutch. 3 is the norm. I have one female that always lays 4. They lay 3 to 4 clutches per yr. I’ve not really bothered incubating them to be honest, but I think I need to be more serious and start incubating. Ive got a few clutches cooking and they look good for now.

Bambam1989

East Texas
They lay 2 to 4 eggs per clutch. 3 is the norm. I have one female that always lays 4. They lay 3 to 4 clutches per yr. I’ve not really bothered incubating them to be honest, but I think I need to be more serious and start incubating. Ive got a few clutches cooking and they look good for now.
I want to thank you again for answering my questions.
I'll probably have so many more in the future.
It would be wonderful if other breeders saw this thread and we're willing to discuss/ compare their care. Incubation methods especially.
They really are an underappreciated group of torts.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Now mine love their strawberries. Lol

Bambam1989

East Texas
Now mine love their strawberries. Lol
Hello Jacqui! I was really hoping you would see this thread[emoji1]
Would you be willing to share your incubation methods? Is there any other differences in dietary preferences?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
When you set up an enclosure think shallow ponds and marsh land. @Jacqui has a very nice outdoor enclosure.
Where was this image posted?

I have 7.8 K. erosa. I've posted a few pictures, they seem to be willing to mate all the time rain or no rain. No eggs yet. I got them about a year ago. All show active growth. Mine eat chopped lettuce butts, squash (winter and summer types), cactus, apple, banana, chopped microwave eggs, hibiscus leaves and flowers, sweet potato, green beans, cauliflower and broccoli stalks, and I give them layer crumbles soaked in cold brewed hibiscus water. I do give them mushrooms too, but keep it limited, mushrooms have a horrible C: P ratio and no matter whatever special digestion things they may or may not have, they need calcium.

The temps of the enclosure range from the mid 70'sF to high 80'sF. There is one T5 HO light at one end of a 2 x 4 foot enclosure, they don't seem to seek out higher light at all. I've gone to the room they are in at night and when it is pretty much total darkness they are eating, walking around, mating etc. I have a two inch deep water tray 24 x 18 Inches and they may sit in it for many hours a day. I use several inches of cypress mulch and they will shimmy into it so that they sit in water in a small depression in the cypress. The whole enclose has overflow drain, so I flood it with many gallons of water frequently, not as rain but right out of a hose onto the cypress. They come and stick their face in the hose water, sometime drinking but mostly seeming to just like it.

The group all came in one importation so I am pretty sure they represent just one population, they are all wild caught. Chris Mannis at Dalton State University has an active reproducing group for a STEM program there.