Where do you put your temp/humidity gauge?

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
I searched all around for this but can’t find the answer... I see a temp/humidity gauge such as accurite from the hardware store such as home depot is the most recommended type on the forum... but I am confused... these appear to be “free standing“ ones that you’d set on a counter top... how do I attach/mount it in my tortoise enclosure?? I can’t imagine just setting it in the floor of the enclosure... the tortoise will bother it. Am I missing something?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The ones with probes placed safely in the enclosure allow you to get readings at tort level while leaving the main unit outside.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I searched all around for this but can’t find the answer... I see a temp/humidity gauge such as accurite from the hardware store such as home depot is the most recommended type on the forum... but I am confused... these appear to be “free standing“ ones that you’d set on a counter top... how do I attach/mount it in my tortoise enclosure?? I can’t imagine just setting it in the floor of the enclosure... the tortoise will bother it. Am I missing something?
I set a couple on each end of the enclosures and usually unbothered. If they do knock them over now and then i just fix them.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Most of them have a little metal disk on the back of them. IMG_20210520_193715075.jpgYou can use a small magnet, and a dab of hot glue to mount it anywhere you want.IMG_20210520_194018972.jpgIMG_20210520_194029065.jpg

Wisconsin
The ones with probes placed safely in the enclosure allow you to get readings at tort level while leaving the main unit outside.
That’s what I was going to go with but everyone seemed to be saying to just go with the “regular house type” ... are there non reptile ones with probes????

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That’s what I was going to go with but everyone seemed to be saying to just go with the “regular house type” ... are there non reptile ones with probes????
Yes - if you google h/h with probes you'll find them.
I have 2 sorts neither is specifically for reptiles.
One has a long lead with a probe on the end similar to this
1621557328132.png

The other gives 2 readings for indoor and outdoor, so the probe (inside) is attached to a wireless sensor (positioned outside), which sends readings to the main gauge.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I use 3 of these in my enclosure...one on each end and one in the middle. They just sit on the substrate and my tortoise hasn’t ever bothered them.

1388119A-5234-4A3D-8EE9-6A39F50B1F24.png
This picture is showing probably the most attention he’s ever paid to the thermometers. I guess he was just making sure the temperature and humidity was right where he wanted it! ?

CE7EB7A3-9EBA-4B4E-9D93-23AC95255DC9.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Some can be mounted with a magnet like what toddrick showed you, and others have a slot that fits over a screw in back for a wall mount.

You should periodically move it around the enclosure and let it sit for a while to check temps every where.

Jon G.

5 Year Member
Gulf Coast, FL
I purchased these Temp/Humidity displays on Amazon a couple of weeks ago....$6.99 for a pack of 4!!! Even came with 4 replacement batteries!!! I have used the readily available Accurite indicators and agree that they are not easy to mount or read inside a reptile enclosure or incubator although I really like the remote wireless sensor version. Velcro with double-sided peal and stick backing is always an option for any rear mount display (don't cover the battery access).

Back to ones I just purchased (see below). I put all four on a counter top in our house and watched the readings for several days. The temperatures agreed to within +/- 0.5 Deg F during transients as the AC came on and off, and within a couple of % relative humidity. During stable conditions, they agreed even better, sometimes exactly and usually within 0.1 Deg F so I am amazed at their precision although have not assessed absolute accuracy. These do not have a remote probe, so must be mounted inside the environment but they are very small so not obtrusive. My only complaint is that the temperature display number is smaller than the humidity which is opposite of my preference. NOTE: Any electronic device installed inside a high humidity environment is likely to fail at some point but at this price, you can't go wrong and I am absolutely sure they are more accurate than any of the cheap dial type indicators.

Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08M3P74N3/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

1621610570657.png

Jon G.

5 Year Member
Gulf Coast, FL
....peel (not peal) in my post above....I hate it when I mispell on a forum (get it?). Ha!