Where do you buy your tortoises

srcfolks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chandler Arizona
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new buddy. Unfortunately CB reptiles, aka Tortoise Town, has a bad reputation for sending sick or unhealthy animals. Hopefully that's not the case.
Where do you and others suggest to buy tortoise on-line. any help would be appreciated
Thanks SRC

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where do you and others suggest to buy tortoise on-line. any help would be appreciated
Thanks SRC
I suggest you don't buy online. Buy from a breeder who starts them correctly and is passionate about the babies they produce. We have lots of breeders here on the forum that produce healthy, well-started, babies.

What species are you looking for?

srcfolks

5 Year Member
Chandler Arizona
I suggest you don't buy online. Buy from a breeder who starts them correctly and is passionate about the babies they produce. We have lots of breeders here on the forum that produce healthy, well-started, babies.

What species are you looking for?
There are no breeders that I can locate close to me so buying from a breeder is fine but I would still have to have it shipped to me so online seems like the only option. I am now looking for a breeder that sells online. Any suggestions
Thanks for all your help and info on Tortoise Forum

srcfolks

5 Year Member
Chandler Arizona
There are no breeders that I can locate close to me so buying from a breeder is fine but I would still have to have it shipped to me so online seems like the only option. I am now looking for a breeder that sells online. Any suggestions
I am in Illinois, in the central part of the state, not close to chicago or St.louis, (150miles)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How old are you? We have these old fashioned things called phones. You can use one of these archaic devices to actually talk to a living person in real time that is nowhere near you. These devices do not require wifi, the internet, or a device that can take you on to the WWW... :oops::p;)

I'm just kidding of course, but on-line is not the only option. Many of the best breeders are people like me that just love tortoises and don't have a website, internet business, or on-line presence of any kind. We often do business by phone and then ship to wherever.

What species are you looking to buy? I'd be happy to recommend breeders that start babies well and are good people.

Before you buy from anyone, give these a read so you'll know what questions to ask of any source:

Unfortunately, most breeders and many of the on-line sellers do not start or house their babies well, and the result is sometimes death weeks or months later that will be blamed on you. The first few weeks of that babies life make all the difference in the world.

srcfolks

5 Year Member
Chandler Arizona
It says you're in Chandler, Arizona??????
I moved to Illinois several years ago. I used to live in Arizona and raised a few sulcata's in my days and now I like to get a couple more started and plan on having a retirement home in Arizona. I guess I better update my profile. . I have been a member for awhile
How old are you? We have these old fashioned things called phones. You can use one of these archaic devices to actually talk to a living person in real time that is nowhere near you. These devices do not require wifi, the internet, or a device that can take you on to the WWW... :oops::p;)

I'm just kidding of course, but on-line is not the only option. Many of the best breeders are people like me that just love tortoises and don't have a website, internet business, or on-line presence of any kind. We often do business by phone and then ship to wherever.

What species are you looking to buy? I'd be happy to recommend breeders that start babies well and are good people.

Before you buy from anyone, give these a read so you'll know what questions to ask of any source:

Unfortunately, most breeders and many of the on-line sellers do not start or house their babies well, and the result is sometimes death weeks or months later that will be blamed on you. The first few weeks of that babies life make all the difference in the world.
As you know,people will Tell you anything on the phone to sell their inventory, so I thought I would use the INTERNET from this Forum for professional advice, since I have been away from raising torts for awhile. I can look elsewhere I suppose., Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have a breeder's list of forum members who raise and sell tortoises:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As you know,people will Tell you anything on the phone to sell their inventory, so I thought I would use the INTERNET from this Forum for professional advice, since I have been away from raising torts for awhile. I can look elsewhere I suppose., Thanks

Can they not do the same thing on the internet?

Do a search here on the forum for "Tortoise Town" and "Blackwater Reptiles". Read their reviews from actual customers here on the forum, and then go check out their nice looking websites. I think you'll agree they are not being honest.

Anyway, we here on the forum know who sells healthy babies, and we're happy to make recommendations for you to check out for yourself.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Check out Tortstork, I've had great experiences with him.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
SOUTHERN REPTILES has very well started baby tortoises.
I know the owner, personally. And you will get a healthy tortoise.
He (Ryan) sells tortoises online and on his FACEBOOK site.
I can vouch for Southern Reptiles too. He's got some nice animals.