When You Don’t Close The Lid All the Way

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Ugh, this used to happen way too much to me lol. My cat was always just looking for heat and payed no attention to Curtis, but she would always wreck the enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'd be more concerned about the cat getting burned or starting a fur fire. Yikes.
Btw, it looks like you have white stones as a substrate? That can be dangerous if your tort eats them. Can cause impaction and tortoises are attracted to white among a few other colors. An orchid bark or dirt (not sand) substrate would be much better, safer, and easier on the feet and shell.

ShirleyTX

Canyon Lake TX USA
@TechnoCheese - It's reassuring to know it's happened to someone else and the sky didn't fall. Yes, she did seem to be basking under the UVB and heat lamps. I hope she didn't leave any fur or odd bacteria... I try very hard to keep the enclosure clean as Egyptians are sensitive to breathing particles.

@wellington - Fire! Oh my gosh, I hadn't even thought of that. A burning cat. YIKES!! I'm adding that to my long list of Tort Things To Worry About. I swear, this is more excitement than a new human baby.

The substrate is oyster shell, one of two recommended substrates for Egyptians. The other is decomposed granite mixed with sand. (Yup, it's on the care sheet!) As I understand it, Egyptians need traction not provided by soil and soil can produce pathogens that these little guys cannot handle. I myself have quite a struggle with keeping the air humid while still keeping the substrate dry. Thank you for your concern! (PS This is the same organic stuff that is fed to chickens to make their egg shells harder and it is primarily calcium. So far, she has shown no interest in eating it. If she did, it's not the worst thing in the world as it is edible.)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, didn't mean to freak you out about the fur fire. That's just what I always think of and worry about when a cat gets in a tort enclosure. Luckily I don't think it has happened yet, but sure don't want it too either.
Also about your substrate. As long as it's recommended. I don't know much about their care, just know lots of torts go after white things. Red and orange are other colors they seem to really like.
Btw, very cute cat that did look very comfy.