When to take them inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timetravellingtortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest US
So I live in this lovely place called the Willamette Valley where it's cloudy and rainy about 9 to 10 months out of the year. I'm getting a Hermann's soon and have the ability to keep him outside in the summer months (aka July and August if that). It can be anywhere from 65 to 105 F in the summer, so temperatures are kind of crazy.

I'm curious about what time of year or when it gets to what temperatures I should take my tortoise in and put him out?

I'm assuming that since it rains in the wild. rain every once and a while is okay?

Thanks!

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Is 65 the lowest it gets, including nighttime? If so, he should be fine being out the whole while. They can tolerate some low temperatures, provided they have the ability to warm back up within a reasonable time-frame.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Also, remember that wet and cold= ailing tort or worse.

So if you are going to leave the tort out and all, I would be sure to provide a place/retreat that the tort can easily utilize during the cold and rainy days/nights....

Summer days with their warm temps and summer rain--(excluding being flooded of course :p) is fine for the tort...

Cold winter nights (without rain) are fine as well, as long as not below freezing

Cold winter days/nights accompanied by rain---not a desirable situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.