When is it normal for a baby tortoise to poop

Mybestyisadog

Location (City and/or State)
Aruba
Hello, I am new here. I recently got a red foot tortoise from work, it's about 8 days old now, I've had it for 3 days. It was brought in to be euthanized because of its special needs. The vet speculates that was born with brain damage on the left side, due to the head being tilted and it walks in circles. I decided to take it upon myself to care of it and so far it's got a healthy appetite and I've been putting it in lukewarm water every day. My only question is when are baby tortoises supposed to defecate or pee and when do they lose their egg tooth? The tail seems to be moving fine, it's not paralyzed

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow good for you. Hope all goes well.
Babies will usually poop every day specially in their soak water. Maybe try soaking him longer and see if he will go.
Be sure to read the caresheet for RF and make any needed adjustments.

Mybestyisadog

Aruba
Wow good for you. Hope all goes well.
Babies will usually poop every day specially in their soak water. Maybe try soaking him longer and see if he will go.
Be sure to read the caresheet for RF and make any needed adjustments.
Another question is it normal for baby tortoises to sleep a lot? And I leave it to soak for 10 a day

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
Hello, I am new here. I recently got a red foot tortoise from work, it's about 8 days old now, I've had it for 3 days. It was brought in to be euthanized because of its special needs. The vet speculates that was born with brain damage on the left side, due to the head being tilted and it walks in circles. I decided to take it upon myself to care of it and so far it's got a healthy appetite and I've been putting it in lukewarm water every day. My only question is when are baby tortoises supposed to defecate or pee and when do they lose their egg tooth? The tail seems to be moving fine, it's not paralyzed
I have a three year old Eastern Box and she tends to poop in her pond - MASSIVELY. I think must be instinctual.

She poops almost every day though.

Attachments

• DSC01680.JPG
    DSC01680.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 27

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Tortoise hatchlings take about 10 days once offered food before their first real "poop". It takes that long on average for food to move through their digestive system. I keep hatchlings in the brooder box until their first good poop and that is usually the signal to me that they are ready to go into their first enclosure. Your redfoot may be a bit earlier than that. With a different diet, and not as much fiber needed, food transit time should be a bit shorter.

The egg tooth is usually about 4 weeks or so. Never been able to (or watched closely enough) to time it exactly. I just know that by the time they are 4-6 weeks old, I don't see it any more.

Mybestyisadog

Aruba
Tortoise hatchlings take about 10 days once offered food before their first real "poop". It takes that long on average for food to move through their digestive system. I keep hatchlings in the brooder box until their first good poop and that is usually the signal to me that they are ready to go into their first enclosure. Your redfoot may be a bit earlier than that. With a different diet, and not as much fiber needed, food transit time should be a bit shorter.

The egg tooth is usually about 4 weeks or so. Never been able to (or watched closely enough) to time it exactly. I just know that by the time they are 4-6 weeks old, I don't see it any more.
Thank you very much for the reply, I was worried there might be something wrong