When Do They Eat Like Big Torts?

Swiechdawn

Location (City and/or State)
Sarasota
I have a 5 month old cherry head that is a fussy eater. Took him several months to actually eat enough to gain any weight. He is now on a steady growth pattern but he will only eat Mazzuri, Fluke and hibiscus leaves/flowers, as well as some chicken & some fruit when given. I constantly put new and different weeds, veggies, plants and mixed greens in his cage be he won't touch them. He also does not eat anything if I put calcium on it. I do think he sometimes eats the sprouted tortoise seed mix that I have in his habitat, as he poops more than I see him eat and I've seen grass hanging out of his mouth. Anyway, at what age do these picky eaters start eating like big kids? Please do not suggest removing the food items that he likes at this time, as I just got him growing and I don't want to go backwards. He has been to vet and has been given a clean bill of health.

Attachments

• IMG_8753.PNG
    IMG_8753.PNG
    8.4 MB · Views: 8

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have a 5 month old cherry head that is a fussy eater. Took him several months to actually eat enough to gain any weight. He is now on a steady growth pattern but he will only eat Mazzuri, Fluke and hibiscus leaves/flowers, as well as some chicken & some fruit when given. I constantly put new and different weeds, veggies, plants and mixed greens in his cage be he won't touch them. He also does not eat anything if I put calcium on it. I do think he sometimes eats the sprouted tortoise seed mix that I have in his habitat, as he poops more than I see him eat and I've seen grass hanging out of his mouth. Anyway, at what age do these picky eaters start eating like big kids? Please do not suggest removing the food items that he likes at this time, as I just got him growing and I don't want to go backwards. He has been to vet and has been given a clean bill of health.
One of mine will eat anything anytime and another is real picky and doesn't eat as much. I think it just differs from tort to tort.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You have to work at getting him to eat different things. You can't just put it on his plate and expect him to eat it.
Cut up his favorite foods small and then chop up the new stuff you want him to eat a bit smaller. Mix all together and spritz with water so it all sticks together. As he gets used to eating all the different items then you can start chopping them bigger and feeding less of the favorite and more of the other things.

Reactions: Tom

Swiechdawn

Sarasota
Thanks. I have been cutting things up very small but haven't tried mixing. Will give that a try.

Swiechdawn

Sarasota
You have to work at getting him to eat different things. You can't just put it on his plate and expect him to eat it.
Cut up his favorite foods small and then chop up the new stuff you want him to eat a bit smaller. Mix all together and spritz with water so it all sticks together. As he gets used to eating all the different items then you can start chopping them bigger and feeding less of the favorite and more of the other things.
Thanks. I have been cutting things up very small but haven't tried mixing. Will give that a try.

Swiechdawn

Sarasota
LOL, you have to wonder how they survive in the wild!