When can we turn off heat lamp and uvb uva lights?

Peter Edsall

Location (City and/or State)
Toulouse
Have a 2yr old Greek. Its been over wintered indoor. Not hibernation. Room temp 65oc. Live in southwest france. When can we turn off uvb uva lamp and ceramic heat lamp. When can she go outside and stay the night? Help please

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Have a 2yr old Greek. Its been over wintered indoor. Not hibernation. Room temp 65oc. Live in southwest france. When can we turn off uvb uva lamp and ceramic heat lamp. When can she go outside and stay the night? Help please
There is not a simple answer to this question. It depends on what sort of enclosure you have outside, what the weather is like, what the temperature is outside both day and night, etc...

My preference this time of year is to use the outdoor enclosure during fair weather and bring the tortoise in on bad weather days, and at night.

Or make an outdoor enclosure that maintains a suitable minimum temperature, and also offers a warmer basking area on cold days.

Peter Edsall

Toulouse
There is not a simple answer to this question. It depends on what sort of enclosure you have outside, what the weather is like, what the temperature is outside both day and night, etc...

My preference this time of year is to use the outdoor enclosure during fair weather and bring the tortoise in on bad weather days, and at night.

Or make an outdoor enclosure that maintains a suitable minimum temperature, and also offers a warmer basking area on cold days.
Thank you for that info. When do I turn off the heat lamp at night. Also heating in the room. Should have said room temperature constant 20c radiator on day and night.

latishab2001

Lafayette

I have the same type of questions. I just bought a fogger because the indoor enclosure doesn't produce enough humidity but the temp is perfect. We've been constantly soaking it down as we patiently await the new fogger. He's 3-4 yrs old not young but I've been taking him out during the hot times of the day. he runs around perfectly but when we bring him in he's definitely upset clawing at the terrarium. Hopefully, this is ok? Anyone else do this as I live in California and to afraid to keep him outside with rodents and raccoons out

1289Gabe

San Diego California
I have the same type of questions. I just bought a fogger because the indoor enclosure doesn't produce enough humidity but the temp is perfect. We've been constantly soaking it down as we patiently await the new fogger. He's 3-4 yrs old not young but I've been taking him out during the hot times of the day. he runs around perfectly but when we bring him in he's definitely upset clawing at the terrarium. Hopefully, this is ok? Anyone else do this as I live in California and to afraid to keep him outside with rodents and raccoons out
I live in San diego. I think it’s fine to keep him outside if our watching him, and if you have an out sore enclosure, check on him sometimes; every hour or two.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No ones answered my question. When do we turn off heating and ceramic lamp? We live in South West France
Tom answered your question:

Tom said:

And my answer is: If the tortoise lives indoors, then you can't turn off the lights. The lights are supposed to be simulating the sun. No one turns off the sun for animals living outside, so you don't turn of the "sun" for your indoor tortoise.

I don't put my babies outside full time until they're about three years old. Before that, they go outside for short times during warm sunny days.

Peter Edsall

Toulouse
Wanted to know when the heating and heat lamp can be turned off. Not the uvb or uva light. The Greek tortoise is two aprox. Has lived inside over the winter. Goes outside on hot days. Brought in at night. When can I turn off ceramic heat lamp and radiator in the room?. Help please.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I haven't read the greek care sheet so I'm unaware of what temperature it says little tortoises like yours should be kept. You're wanting us to do your homework for you. Read the care sheet. If it says to keep the enclosure temperature at such and such, and your house is cooler than such and such then you'll know you have to keep the heat on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for that info. When do I turn off the heat lamp at night. Also heating in the room. Should have said room temperature constant 20c radiator on day and night.
An over noght low of 20 is fine for a greek. You could even go down as low as 16 as long as they tortoise can bask and warm up the next day.

She can go outside and stay over night when the night temps are staying above 16C and daytime highs are topping 21C and sunny.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species?

Peter Edsall

Toulouse
An over noght low of 20 is fine for a greek. You could even go down as low as 16 as long as they tortoise can bask and warm up the next day.

She can go outside and stay over night when the night temps are staying above 16C and daytime highs are topping 21C and sunny.
At last a clear concise answer.. Just want to make sure that Im doing the right thing for the tortoise.Many mamy thanks.