When can I return my male into the main enclosure

MaryJ3067

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
My male box turtle, named Brandy, was constantly mounting one of the females in my main turtle enclosure. It got to the point that every time I went out to check on my turtles, he was on top of her. I eventually thought it was best to remove him so he didn't stress my female out. He is in a temporary enclosure I made from a kiddie pool. I know breeding activity is really high just after hibernation, but when do y'all think would be best to put Brandy back into the main enclosure with the females.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m guessing probably never really. How large of an enclosure, whats the ratio of females to thr one male. I’m pretty sure he's going to pick right up where he jumped off. Probably best to build a totally separate (non-temporary) enclosure.

MaryJ3067

South Carolina
I’m not sure of the exact measurements for the enclosure (my dad built it). And I have two female turtles and Brandy.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking I would probably need another enclosure, I just wanted some other opinions before I built it (or made my dad build it).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It can be a temporary/permanent arrangement, for example: Brandy gets to VISIT (the "temporary" part) the females on Mondays and Fridays, but he LIVES (the "permanent" part) in the kiddie pool (until your dad can build him his own permanent pen.

MaryJ3067

South Carolina
It can be a temporary/permanent arrangement, for example: Brandy gets to VISIT (the "temporary" part) the females on Mondays and Fridays, but he LIVES (the "permanent" part) in the kiddie pool (until your dad can build him his own permanent pen.
That’s a good idea, thank you!