When can a sulcata stay outside full time.

Squirts

Location (City and/or State)
Fontana ca
I have a 1year sulcata that is about 8 in long now. I wanted to see if she can be outside full time and if she still needs it to be humid in her house still? I have a home for her inside the house where I'm planning on having her inside at night during winter but if I can have her outside full time that would be better.
I know for a fact she will have a heat pad and couple of places she can make a burrow sosshe can be cool onosummer and have a house she will havehher heathpad in withwa heat lamp as well. But I want to make sure that the house we built for her is good and ready. So questions, what size can they be outside full time? And does she still require to have a UVB light because she will be getting sun all day? And does her home still need to be humid?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 1year sulcata that is about 8 in long now. I wanted to see if she can be outside full time and if she still needs it to be humid in her house still? I have a home for her inside the house where I'm planning on having her inside at night during winter but if I can have her outside full time that would be better.
I know for a fact she will have a heat pad and couple of places she can make a burrow sosshe can be cool onosummer and have a house she will havehher heathpad in withwa heat lamp as well. But I want to make sure that the house we built for her is good and ready. So questions, what size can they be outside full time? And does she still require to have a UVB light because she will be getting sun all day? And does her home still need to be humid?

They can move outside full time at 8-10 inches, but wait until it warms up in spring. Don't do it now.

Yes, it still needs humidity in its heated night box. You can use a bucket or tubs of water for this purpose.

Bulbs should not be used over them once they reach this size and live outside. It will burn the carapace and not warm the middle of the tortoise enough anyway.

No need for UV lamps for a tortoise that lives outside.

Burrowing is good for the summer months, but its too cold for most of the year. You'll need a heated night box, like this: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/ Dogs houses, deck boxes and things like that do not work well. Believe me, I've tried. Once you have this sort of correctly built and heated house, you will not need to bring the tortoise inside in winter.

Squirts

Fontana ca
They can move outside full time at 8-10 inches, but wait until it warms up in spring. Don't do it now.

Yes, it still needs humidity in its heated night box. You can use a bucket or tubs of water for this purpose.

Bulbs should not be used over them once they reach this size and live outside. It will burn the carapace and not warm the middle of the tortoise enough anyway.

No need for UV lamps for a tortoise that lives outside.

Burrowing is good for the summer months, but its too cold for most of the year. You'll need a heated night box, like this: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/ Dogs houses, deck boxes and things like that do not work well. Believe me, I've tried. Once you have this sort of correctly built and heated house, you will not need to bring the tortoise inside in winter.
Okay I'll wait until it's warmer outside. Plus I got to make sure her house is good before we do that. I will take a picture of her new big home and see if you have any ideas for a night box to be able to fit in the new home. Thanks so much for the advice !