Wheezing three toed box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

atuck34

5 Year Member
My turtle has been occasionally wheezing he is eating great and is very alert and active. He also does not have any discharge from his eyes or nose. I have been soaking him regularly and trying to increase his humidity. His humidity is about 60 to 70% and temps between 75 to 80 during the day and high 60s to low 70s at night. I just wanted to know if anyone knows possible causes of his wheezing and if it could be something potentially bad. I do know its a Sign of an upper respiratory infection which can be deadly but he seems in good health other than wheezing which mostly occurs when he is really active. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
It can be a sign of RI, but he could also have something stuck and he is trying to dislodge it. He could just be making sounds. They often just make noises. Since it is eating and active with no discharge I would not worry about it. if it's appetite diminishes then I would start to worry.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
These are a hard species to keep indoors for their lifelong enclosure....also the temps should not fall below 70° and more ideal min temp should be closer to the 75° degree mark....in addition to soaking they should have access to water that they can easily and readily climb into and that water should not be cold...maybe under a heating element set at a mild temp for comfort....also the wheezing could be due to dehydration onset....if you keep the temp during the day at around 85 with a basking spot 88-90 .....they need lots of plants to maintain humidity and lots of hiding spots...they do well with humidity around 75-80%......you can access numerous studies on these little guys...they are a tricky species to get enclosure exact...there are also folks here on the forum that care for these guys and have lovely outdoor gardens as well as gorgeous indoor enclosures....I do not house any...but have researched them ALOT...so the information I shared here is based on my research...again more opinions are always helpful..I would in the meantime be sure to at least get the temps under control as your low temps are just too low indoors and I would also get your humidity up a bit...IMHO that is :D

Status
Not open for further replies.