What's wrong with my star tort?

hoshi

10 Year Member!
Hi

My 10 year old Star Tort is making a hissing sound where he hisses and his limbs and head go inside with each hiss. He does this many times during the day.

here is a short clip that I took where you can see/hear him.

What is wrong with him?

Please help.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Is he only having trouble walking on that hard and maybe slippery surface?
I would check his claws to make sure they aren't too long, and he seemed to rub his head in that clip so check there's nothing trapped in his skin around his legs and head that's sticking in him.

hoshi

10 Year Member!
There is nothing trapped anywhere. His eyes are mildly swollen and last week he had some bubbles coming from his nose. I took him to the vet and she said he may have some lung issues. She injected him with some vitamins.

He is eating daily. He poops once in 4-6 days. I soak him in a tub for 10-15min daily. He has a lap but some days he sits under it and other days he doesn't want to.

For many months now I find him in a corner somewhere making this movement. He will drag his 4 legs back and his head inside his shell and hiss. He does this for 10 min or so and a few times a day. Some times its more strange as his mouth is open. I thought maybe he cannot breathe but when he isn't doing this he seems to be OK.

I'm really not sure what is wrong.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Any chance he's a she trying to dig to lay eggs which they can do even if not mated?
Vitamin injections can sometimes do more harm than good but if he is eating and relatively active he could be fine.
Can you post pics of his enclosure and lamps so members can see if there's anything affecting his behaviour.
You've probably already seen this but just in case this is the caresheet so you can double check temps etc

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just another thought what are his urates like?
It sounds as if he could be trying to pass something painful and I don't know for sure as I've not had experience of this with my tort, but I'm wondering if there's the possibility that he has a bladder stone - although with daily soaks he should be hydrated.
Could you tell us more about his diet and what uvb he has?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The hissing is a sound they make when they pull in their limbs. It's just air being expressed.
You should worry more about the other things you mentioned. Swollen eyes, nose bubbles, etc
Please give us pictures and a run down of equipment you are using, temps all over day and night, diet and pictures of the enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi

My 10 year old Star Tort is making a hissing sound where he hisses and his limbs and head go inside with each hiss. He does this many times during the day.

here is a short clip that I took where you can see/hear him.

What is wrong with him?

Please help.
Where are you?
Where is the tortoise housed, indoors or out?
What are the four enclosure temperatures?
Your vet doesn't know tortoises, and you should use extreme caution if you go back there.
What type of UV bulb are you using?
What substrate? Is it damp?
What do you feed the tortoise?

Reactions: Ink

hoshi

10 Year Member!
The hissing is a sound they make when they pull in their limbs. It's just air being expressed.
You should worry more about the other things you mentioned. Swollen eyes, nose bubbles, etc
Please give us pictures and a run down of equipment you are using, temps all over day and night, diet and pictures of the enclosure.

Yes this sounds a bit accurate - he pulls his limbs in and hisses. And he does this a few times a day and for a few minutes each time.

I've attached a pic of his eyes - do they look swollen? It's hard for me to tell.

The bubbles from his nose have gone - I haven't noticed them in more than a week now.

I live in Bombay - the weather is warm/hot and humid. He doesn't have an enclosure - and walks around the entire house (tiled). I do have a 4*2 ft green mat (pic) with a small house and a lamp. He chooses to go there at his own will. He doesn't always like to sit under the lamp - even if I turn it on and place him there, he will walk away. I guess because it is already a bit hot here. But when I turn our AC on then he of course does like sitting under it.

I feet him Okra, salad leaves, carrot, bottle gourd, tomato, and occasionally hibiscus plant leaves. I've tried a few other items but he doesn't eat them.

I soak him in a tub 10-15 minutes every day. He usually discharges white stuff (urea?). He poops once a week - sometimes takes longer. He used to poop more often. He's 10.

Thank you everyone!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-04-29 at 19.58.20(1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-29 at 19.58.20(1).jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 14
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-04-29 at 19.58.20.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-04-29 at 19.58.20.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 14

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You have to either keep him outside with a hide or inside in a proper enclosure. He will not be able to walk properly on tile floors and you will ruin his legs and muscles.
Asap a proper tortoise enclosure is needed inside or out. Outside much better and healthier for him. Besides the fact, walking around your house is dangerous and/or deadly for him.