What's wrong with Alfie? Please help me....

Smile

5 Year Member
So for the past week or so, my sulcata tortoise Alfie has not been looking good. He has always been sort of a problem feeder ever since I got him, but he always ate something at least, even if it wasn't much. He has not eaten a thing since Sunday and rarely opens his eyes, and doesn't move at all. Today he has gotten to the point where he is too weak to lift himself up and move even just a bit, now he's just keeping his head down and is pretty limp. I don't understand what I did/am doing wrong... apparently the thermometer I had wasn't very accurate, so I ordered a new one that should be here in five days or so, but from the looks of it, he doesn't have a lot of time left... what can I do to revive my baby? The temperature has gotten colder down here in NYC and our heat isn't always on at night, so that might be one of the things that went wrong. A friend let me borrow a heat pad for him and I used it last night, but it seems like he's getting much worse. I have no money to take him to a vet either which really makes me hate myself as he's the one depending on me to thrive... :(

Please pray for him and me, I don't know what I'll do if he dies... feel free to ask me questions and request videos/pictures and I'll try my best to answer/get them to the best of my ability.

Here's a short video showing how he drags himself now...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1th4u7ukfzuoamd/20141115_164205.mp4?dl=0

Last edited:

Gab5150

Location (City and/or State)
Central Ohio
I'm so sorry that your little one isn't doing well :( Definitely try to stabilize your temps. I'm sure the experts here will have lots of questions/answers for you. I'll say a prayer for Alfie!

Smile

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry that your little one isn't doing well :( Definitely try to stabilize your temps. I'm sure the experts here will have lots of questions/answers for you. I'll say a prayer for Alfie!
I tried adding a basking rock in there and removed the hay he previously had to increase the basking temp... all he does is drag his shell away from it.

Smile

5 Year Member
You can try a carrot baby food soak
It's gotten to the point where I'm afraid to soak him since he can't stick his head out of the water anymore and will probably drown.. would it help if he drank any of it? I'm going to the store to get some carrots in a few minutes and hopefully the carrot juice helps.

Gab5150

Central Ohio
Is he showing any signs of a reparatory infection? I'm by no means knowledgable enough to give out advice, but I do know that if you're working with high humidity and unstable/low night temperatures, it's a recipe for disaster.

And I think JoDee's suggestion is a good idea. I'm sure he is very week if he hasn't eaten in a week so it may help if he gets something into him. It's worth a shot!

Smile

5 Year Member
Is he showing any signs of a reparatory infection? I'm by no means knowledgable enough to give out advice, but I do know that if you're working with high humidity and unstable/low night temperatures, it's a recipe for disaster.

And I think JoDee's suggestion is a good idea. I'm sure he is very week if he hasn't eaten in a week so it may help if he gets something into him. It's worth a shot!
He doesn't have a runny nose, doesn't breath out of his mouth, and doesn't make squeaking noises or anything, so I doubt it's an RI. I seriously don't know what's up with him, his shell is still hard, his eyes look bright whenever he opens them and everything... he's just really too weak to move and won't eat anything.

If there are other RI symptoms I should look out for, please let me know.

Zeko

5 Year Member
It's gotten to the point where I'm afraid to soak him since he can't stick his head out of the water anymore and will probably drown.. would it help if he drank any of it? I'm going to the store to get some carrots in a few minutes and hopefully the carrot juice helps.

You need to do/make sure you are doing the following:

1) You need to ensure the temps inside his tank do not drop lower than 85* anywhere while he is sick. If this means you run his lights 24/7 until you can provide the proper setup, so be it.

2) Soak him in some baby food. Make sure the temperature of the water also doesn't drop lower than 85*. If you need to hold his head higher than the water, than do so.

3) Provide us photos of his enclosure, his lights, and of him.

This little guy doesn't have the time to wait while you try to figure things out. It is your job to do things right.

Go get it done,
Brad

Smile

5 Year Member
I have another thread with pictures of his enclosure. I honestly don't think he'll make it through the night, all I can do is hope. I managed to get a piece of his food in his mouth, but he's been struggling for like 10 minutes to get it down and is just sitting there limp and almost lifeless.

Zeko

5 Year Member
Link to his enclosure then please!

If you honestly feel like he won't make it, go buy a Tupperware (about a foot big). Put paper towel down for his flooring, and put his light/heat above it, making sure he is 85*c.
Supply food and water just incase.

Making a hospital setup may be your best choice.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm very sorry! I agree with the above, warm humid temps might help him a little.
@Tom might ave suggestions, but to me, this kinda sounds like hatchling failure sydrome??

Smile

5 Year Member

Zeko

5 Year Member
Hey,

Checked your link. We need to see the type of lights you are using. What substrate are you using for the ground? I see some hay, what's under it?

Get the hospital tank going ASAP in the mean time. Paper tower, water, food, 85*. Keep it simple.

Smile

5 Year Member
I am using a Solar Glo 125W MVB bulb and Eco earth for bedding. That hay used to be his basking spot, it was soft and kept him warmer. I seriously want to cry right now, he's just getting worse...

Zeko

5 Year Member
The bulb is a decent one. Make sure if that is the one you use for his hospital setup, that you make sure he stays at 85* and does not overheat. You may have to set it higher to ensure the temp it correct.

Smile

5 Year Member
Well I threw my old crappy thermostat out so I have no way to measure the temperature now until my new one comes in.. I'll set up his hospital bed near it to keep him warm enough but not too warm. Thanks for helping me by the way.

Smile

5 Year Member
OMG... he looks like he's regaining a bit of strength. I picked him up to put him inside his hospital bed and he withdrew into his shell. I really hope he makes it! Will keep everyone posted.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hmm... okay, I know @Yvonne G is on right now, I hope the experts can help you!
I'm sorry. It's so nice to know he's a little better! Have a stack of greens in there, he might want to eat. Try anything. Treats, stuff he goes wild for, anything to get him to eat!

Smile

5 Year Member
I'm trying to get pictures of how I have it set up but my camera is acting up at the moment. The carrots will be here shortly and I plan on blending them inside the blender and soaking him in the juice. Are there any success stories of carrot juice soaks I can read to make me feel better in the meantime? Please keep him in your prayers guys!!

Zeko

5 Year Member
OMG... he looks like he's regaining a bit of strength. I picked him up to put him inside his hospital bed and he withdrew into his shell. I really hope he makes it! Will keep everyone posted.

This is a good sign. You HAVE to make sure he stays at or near 85*. You need to go to any of the numerous stores that sell a thermometer. If you can't find a standard one, you can buy baby thermometers, body thermometers, stick on thermometers, temperature guns, etc. You could live in the North Pole, and there will still be a thermometer somewhere to buy.