What's the significance of your tortoise(s)'s name(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagashi

5 Year Member
Initially as we wanted a Star Tort, I pre-named him Galaticus (not sure whether it was a male or female tort). Because it was Stars.. and I wanted it to be associated with the SKies.. stars. galaxy.. etc.

Then somehow we ended up with two. So to match Galaticus.. I named the other one Spartacus.. Have no idea yet what's their sex but I guess it won't make much of a difference to them.. they don't seem to be bothered much by us calling them.. we suspect that they're a bit deaf.. hehehehe

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
My Gulf Coast box turtles name is Chomper. My daughter named him after a character in Land Before Time. I have a new three toed box turtle baby coming in the next few weeks and we are tossing around names now. Someday I will have a tortoise......

Cadance

5 Year Member
Our kids named ours. Thunder and Diego. I thought they where cute and the kids really liked them so that is their names :)

Kasper2reds

5 Year Member
My redfoot "duke" was my first tortoise. When i took him home from the pet store I quickly setup his enclose. My roomate at the time was just as excited as i was to see him in his new home. He asked if he could take him out of the box and hold him while i finished setting up his cage.. Before we knew it, he had pooped a whole lotta good stuff on my roommates hand and the name stuck. DUKE.
58a5caa4.jpg

His cage mate Dutch got his name when I received him in the mail. He arrived and I was enjoying one of my favorite cigarillos, Dutch masters. Instantly I made the connection of duke and Dutchess, and the name Dutch stuck with him
db8dd920.jpg

My duke and Dutch together
575442ae.jpg

TortoiseAddict

5 Year Member
Texas
my red eared slider Timmy died and he was a big part of me and my friends lives so we were going to decide to call the tortoise Jimmy because it sounds like Timmy but it turned out she was a girl so we called her Jenny :)

HarveytheTortoise

5 Year Member
jkingler said:
Did it just sound cool? Did your toirtoise just look like a Shelly or Sheldon? :p

Or is there some deeper inspiration and meaning behind the names you've all chosen to give to your tortoises?

Tell me yours and I'll tell you mine. :D

Harvey my Sulcata, which appears to be female now, is named after a civil rights leader.
Amani my side necked turtle is from a Swahili speaking part of Africa, and Amani is the Swahili word for Peace.
George my Greek tortoise was named at his rescue
Penny my three-toed boxie was named by her previous owner and is has a beautiful copper colored shell.
Karma is my bearded dragon and she is good Karma.
Ghandi is my cat. :)

SebastianTheGirl

5 Year Member
I once had a sulcata named Sheldon, which coming here I have discovered is pretty common. I named it simply because it had a shell, but I never really figured out the gender.

yarok

5 Year Member
Squidget said:
I wanted an African name for my sulcata and after hearing my fiance suggest Zimbabwe aka Zim 500 times i just looked at a map of Africa and finally found a town with a name both of us could agree on... Zinder! plus it just sounds cool haha!

Ah a reptile enthusiast. I love reptile enthusiasts.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
My Russian's name is Ayden. "Ayden" is just a name that I really like, but i spelled it with a "y" instead of an "i" to give him a little bit of originality. Since I planned on having him for quite awhile obviously I wanted his name to be something cute that I wouldn't ever get tired of, hence why I didn't name him anything long or after anything that pertains to a particular interest that I might not be as interested in later in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.