What's the significance of your tortoise(s)'s name(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago IL
Jason M said:
My two russians are called Shelldon and Amiee after the big bang theory, the only sitcom I watch, though my daughter still thinks Amiee is a tearable name for a tortoise

My brother named his snake sheldon because of that show, I tell him sheldon is a turtle name !

FBody355

5 Year Member
Carver, MA
ShadowRancher said:
Haha...good idea! On the way home from the reptile show with a little sully in a deli cup my friend Pierce just said, we have to name him something...monolithic. And of course I just looked straight back and said the first thing that came to my mind, Leviathan...I call him Levi because he's not quite deserving of that name yet :) which has of course lead to my roomie constantly calling him Leviticus (not because she forgets but because she thinks it's cooler...which Leviticus is a pretty cool name)

Awesome meaning!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
ShadowRancher said:
Haha...good idea! On the way home from the reptile show with a little sully in a deli cup my friend Pierce just said, we have to name him something...monolithic. And of course I just looked straight back and said the first thing that came to my mind, Leviathan...I call him Levi because he's not quite deserving of that name yet :) which has of course lead to my roomie constantly calling him Leviticus (not because she forgets but because she thinks it's cooler...which Leviticus is a pretty cool name)

I used to have a Dwarf Puffer (read less than an inch big fish) named Leviathan :) I miss that little fish, he was something else. I loved to feed him snails. I lost him in a power outage, and have owned a couple since, but none of them have had his personality.

Sorry for the O/T, lol ;)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
pryncesssc said:
Jason M said:
My two russians are called Shelldon and Amiee after the big bang theory, the only sitcom I watch, though my daughter still thinks Amiee is a tearable name for a tortoise

My brother named his snake sheldon because of that show, I tell him sheldon is a turtle name !

I will always think of an egg with legs & feet when I hear the name Sheldon.

Kvoigt

5 Year Member
South Dakota
Leopard tort~ named Sonne he came to me with that name and i decided to keep it..it fits him ;P
leopard Hatchling im getting soon (maybe next week) his name is going to be Kraken lol my husband helped name him. a Kraken is a big ocean creature (half crab/octapus) used to sink ships and stuff i duno we thought it would be funny to hear "release the KRAKEN" and my tiny lil hatchling comes walking by :rolleyes: i duno it sounded good and my kids liked it they are 2 and 4 lol:p:p:p

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
My two rescue male russian tortoises names are Tom and Jerry
my other Russian tortoise names are
Hissyfits because he is ornery and everytime you go near him he sounds like he is hissing and throwing a fit
Shelly cuz I think its a great tortoise name
Big Mama because she is the bigest of my females
and little Natasha the smallest of them all :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Scooter was a VERY active little hatchling.
Bert used to be Bertha when I thought he was a she. It was big Bertha since I thought "she" was a big girl.
Delores was already named after the Stephen King book, by the time I got her.
Daisy was guessed as a female as a hatchling. (I was right this time.)
Chewey, we believe was chewed upon a s a youngster, long before I got her.
Big Bertha really is a female, and she really is a big girl.
Tulee, Tuck and Trey were named by my little girl. No idea where she came up with those.
Big Momma is a split scuted Gpp, so I'm pretty sure she's female. She's also by far my largest one.
#14 was the 14th Gpp that I decided to keep.

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob..it's obvious, isn't it???

On the other hand we have King Robert III that's pretty obvious also King Robert because he IS the King and III is 3 for Dale Earnhardt and me

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Did your toirtoise just look like a Shelly or Sheldon?
Well, he has a shell so... yeah! :p

Also a friend suggested Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory, both because I'm a nerd working on getting a PhD, and because hey, shell, Sheldon... totally works.

Squidget

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
StudentoftheReptile said:
Kobe is the Swahili word for "tortoise." I'm not sure if Swahili is commonly spoken through any of the Sulcata's natural range, but I figured it's not far off! So that's how my little sulcata got his name.

Toby, my redfoot, was "pre-named" when I acquired him from another member. It stuck, so now I have Toby and Kobe!

I was on the verge of naming Zinder Kobe lol, it was what i was calling him until i found "THE" name lol, it was a toss up between Kobe and Tonka until i found that both of those names were kinda common for torts and i like to be original...heck i thought i was original when i named my puppy (now 5 years old) Lacey (i never heard it before) then a woman told me that was her daughters name, but it fit so well with my other chi (Bo...who was prenamed by the breeder lol) that i never changed it...and dang it if i thought anyone would remember Morla from the neverending story...but i have seen her name pop up from time to time...apparently it is really hard to be original now adays lol...but i can bet money no one has my beardies name hahaha...his full name is waaay too crazy lol!Blackbeard the People Eater haha!

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I originally wanted to name my sully Mocha, but decided with Mochi. It was much cuter and it was ironic. Mochi is a sweet and squishy Japanese rice cake.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Emrys is the Welsh Celtic name of Merlin the Wizard from Arthurian legend. I've thought it's a beautiful name for a long time and have a real interest in the legend, and it means 'Immortal' which is hopefully a good omen!

Other names I'd considered were Kobe for a boy (this has already been mentioned in the thread - the Swahili word for tortoise, which stemmed from my love of The Lion King and how names in that were Swahili words relevant to characters) and Kiara for a girl (again, Lion King (2) based).

Before I got Emrys I'd picked those two, but then thought I was getting a small hatchling so settled on 'Sandy' as a nice unisex name. Then, the deal fell through and I got an older, sexable tortoise and 'Emrys' just clicked into place.

doubletorts

5 Year Member
My first sully I named "her" Nalla from the Lion King because I was going to get a male and name him Simba (some adult shells reminded me of the ring of fur on their neck). Well Nalla died two weeks later. However, I got another one and named him Tonka (like Tonka trucks) because I knew I wanted something with a hefty name. And when I got my second one I named it Chevy only because Ford didn't sound as good. :)

cljohnson

5 Year Member
I usually name my critters from their country of origin. My Bearded Dragons have Aboriginal names. Allira (daughter) and Adoni (the sunset).
My Sullies are Kobe and Mortimer.
I happen to live on Kobe Way and found out Kobe is Swahili for tortoise so that was a given.
Mortimer is the name my wife gave to her favorite local Sceloporus (fence swift or blue belly, she has them all named) That she hand feeds every day with extra mealies and roaches.
Does anyone else feed local lizards, or are we just weird.
Anyway Mortimer was her vote for the "big guy".

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Jennifer - named to honor my 1st Hermann's, who had geen my Grandfather's longtime pet (since WWII), and when he passed, her care(for the next 19 years, became my respoisibility...the original Jennifer was named for the actress Jennifer Jones.

Ptolemy - many reasons, one of which was Alderman Ptolemy Tortoise, from Beatrix Potter's The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher...also a Egyptian scientist and mathematician.

Ophelia - my friends here at the Forum helped me pick her name.

Apollonia - another name suggsted by a fellow Tortoise Forumite.

and since other pet's names have come up...

Taergus - my male African Rock python, named after a Holy serpent kept by Tuan Magreor, the founder of Baashedai. Raised from 3 days out of the shell and extremely tame.

Sheba - my female African Rock, and one mean bee-yotch (not terrifically tame, due to being an abused "rescue")!

Elwood - my Emory's ratsnake

Grace - my female cornsnake

Elsbeth - my female Slowinski's ratsnake

Bobzilla - my rhinocerous iguana.

Eric - red canary - amazing singer.

Ferdinand - yellow canary - pretty decent singer.

Hamlet - a cross between a potbelly and a "lab pig".

Pete, Donavan and Gabriel - Great Danes.

jkingler

5 Year Member
Rorschach is named as such because I love the character Rorschach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorschach_(comics)

Like her namesake, my tort is an odd, funny, forceful, and semi-misanthropic girl, and she patrols her territory mercilessly to make sure she knows what's what. Also, her belly looks like an inkblot, and Hermann (lol) Rorschach is the man who popularized the use of ink-blots to reveal insight into the psyche of an individual.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Kresh - My husband and I use to play world of warcraft and Kresh is the name of a turtle boss in the game and when I told my husband that I wanted to get a sully he asked what we would name it and we both said Kresh at the same time. Lol

Lola- I wanted to get another sully and I couldn't get copacabana out of my head, and when I went to the pet store and saw her I said "her name was Lola, she was a show girl" and that was that.

batchick

5 Year Member
Ned just looked like a Ned. There was never any other name in my head. My husband wanted to call him Yoda, which may have also been OK I'm trying to let him get all those names out the way before we have kids. Hence us both being happy with him naming the frog that moved into our pond, Darth. All our fish are Bruce and all our geckos, Noel.

Status
Not open for further replies.