What's the significance of your tortoise(s)'s name(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkingler

5 Year Member
Did it just sound cool? Did your toirtoise just look like a Shelly or Sheldon? :p

Or is there some deeper inspiration and meaning behind the names you've all chosen to give to your tortoises?

Tell me yours and I'll tell you mine. :D

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
I unfortunately don't have my cherry heads yet, but their names will be different fire things from mythology. I'm wierd like that I guess :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Always loved the name Tatum (Tatum O'Neal) wanted to name my son that, husband hated it. I wanted a Tatum, so my leopard tort got it:D

Squidget

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
I wanted an African name for my sulcata and after hearing my fiance suggest Zimbabwe aka Zim 500 times i just looked at a map of Africa and finally found a town with a name both of us could agree on... Zinder! plus it just sounds cool haha!

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Peanut - Small and Peanut Colored, plus He's a Sulcata so he will be a big Peanut

Scooter - Shy and scoots around on his belly when nervous

Dig Dug - Digs and Digs and Digs

Scarlet - Hoping she's a she Redfoot - so we went with a red girls name

Candace - another Girl Redfoot name -Phineas and Ferb's sister Candace has red hair - Daughter came up with that one.

Ataro - Word meaning Puzzle - His Shell is like a pizzle with the split scutes

Miki - Means Small He's the smallest tort we've had, baby wise, He's a leopard so he'll grow out of it.

Turtles:

Izzy and Lizzy - Daughters picked those names, first Izzy and lizzy rhymed

Marvin the Musk - Sounded good to my Daughter, might be after Marvin the Martian

Huey, Dewey and Louie - We ordered 2 and got 3 DPT's and they were all little trouble makers into everything, so they are named after Donald Ducks nephews.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Mine "Dusty" is unisex and he is always dirty. My husband actually named him and he has no interest in reptiles. I liked it , so there you go.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
This will be fun and time consuming, I will post later!

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Haha...good idea! On the way home from the reptile show with a little sully in a deli cup my friend Pierce just said, we have to name him something...monolithic. And of course I just looked straight back and said the first thing that came to my mind, Leviathan...I call him Levi because he's not quite deserving of that name yet :) which has of course lead to my roomie constantly calling him Leviticus (not because she forgets but because she thinks it's cooler...which Leviticus is a pretty cool name)

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I got my first ttbt and named it "NINJA"..obviously because of the teenage mutant ninja turtles...I see alot of ppl name there turts/torts this name and also sheldon, shelly, yertle and myrtyl..or the individual names of the ninja turtles..

I now have 2 more box turtles and can not come up with names..however I call one of them "lefty" sine she on has the left eye....the other one i just call "little turtle"...

Honey

5 Year Member
Springfield, MO
I chose Sheldon for my Sulcata's name for a few simple reasons.

* Sheldon means steep valley, or steep sided hill, or a variation of those things. :)

* Sheldon ("Shel") Silverstein was my absolute favorite author when I was a child. :D

* Sheldon Lee Glashow received the Nobel Prize for Physics in 1979 (the year I was born), and wrote three books: 'Interactions', 'The Charm of Physics', and 'From Alchemy to Quarks'. His predictions of neutral currents, charmed particles, and intermediate vector bosons were all proven by experiments. He even wrote poetry about physics!

* Sheldon Cooper from The Big Ban Theory factored in, too. ;)

There are a few more reasons that added into the decision for naming him Sheldon - but I thought those would be a sufficient answer here. I really like this thread!! Thanks for posting it.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Kobe is the Swahili word for "tortoise." I'm not sure if Swahili is commonly spoken through any of the Sulcata's natural range, but I figured it's not far off! So that's how my little sulcata got his name.

Toby, my redfoot, was "pre-named" when I acquired him from another member. It stuck, so now I have Toby and Kobe!

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
this is a fun thread! It is always fun to know the back stories of our torties!

Monica- 3toed box turtle (got her in 4th grade when I was obsessed with my older cousin, named after her)

Maggie-ornate box turtle (short for Magpie, my dad named her this when I was in 6th grade, b/c he found her in far west texas in the middle of the road eating roadkill)

Christopher- ornate box turtle (got him through a reptile show in tampa when i first moved here, was volunteering at a sanctuary for a while & used him for informational sessions-another volunteer named him on the spot & i kept the name)

Cindy-ornate box turtle (she found me during my 6th grade summer, a Lady in west texas has a large group of boxies and said if i found a new baby i could have her-well as i am admiring her habitat, cindy crawls up onto the sidewalk right in front of me, she is named for the lady who gave her to me-Cynthia aka Cindy). Little Cindy and I have been through A LOT together over the years.

Skippy- 3toed box (got him in 05?06? and named him after his peanut butter color shell)

Frankie & Frannie- both boys turns out! Texas river cooters, possible yellowbelly hybrids (Some kids in my hometown brought them to me as month old hatchlings, I adopted them out to a friend, she kept them for a year in "pristine" clean environment-daily baths with soap, decided they were too messy and gave them back to me. She named them Frankie & Frannie).

Nelmo- Texas Yellowbelly (my dad found him on the road with missing toes, minimal feet injuries as a week oldish hatchling and brought him to me. He is named for my god son's version of Finding Nemo-Nelmo the turtle!)

Rufus! or Rufie & PeeWee - Florida Softshell, (*She* was a rescue over a year ago as new hatchlings, brought to me with another turtle named PeeWee, they were saved from a pool filter. I did not think they were going to make it, I have no idea how long they were drowning before pulled out. I did turtle CPR on them, set them up with good source of heat on an incline to get the remaining water out of their lungs. My boyfriend's nickname is Rufus, so he named her that thinking she was a he! Peewee was just a tiny tiny baby, so it fit).

MaryTurtle- Stinkpot (She was a rescue by a friend and former bird trainer of mine's husband. Maryturtle was bycatch that was to be destroyed when he remembered me and saved her, so I named her for his wife Mary. Mary taught me sooooo much about birds, she is from the south and pronounced mary turtle with a very drawn southern accent in a very high pitched voice, so i do too).

Babies L & R- 3 toed box turtle hatchlings (the new babies, Monica's babies! are being called for their position in my incubator L (left) and R (right). Maybe one day they will get some nicknames, but for now they are L&R.

I currently have another rescue stinkpot, but plan to release her back to the wild in the spring, or adopt her if necessary. I am pretty sure a bird grabbed her and dropped her on my neighbor's sidewalk.

And of course, Isis-not a tort, but dear to my heart, -albino rat snake is named for her gentle nature as the protective deity in ancient religious history.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Most of my tortoise's have names in the language of their native country or territory. For example, my Russians are Sveta, Darya, Nurai, Vanya, Fyodor, Ananya, and Innya.

Dee, Dusty, and Devon have unisex "D" names because their mother (owned by Tom) is named Deloris, and I obviously won't know their genders for a few years to come.

Kendall and Kasey have unisex "K" names because I did not know the name of their mother, and they were bred by Kevin (kbaker) so I just went with K, lol.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
My turtles name is Leilani which means heavenly child in Hawaiian because she is my baby girl and i LOVE her !!

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
My tortoises name is Ted, there isnt really anything significant about how he got his name, I just looked at him and decided to call him Ted... If he turns out to be a she, her name will be Tedalina.

Jason M

5 Year Member
uk, Somerset
My two russians are called Shelldon and Amiee after the big bang theory, the only sitcom I watch, though my daughter still thinks Amiee is a tearable name for a tortoise

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Sulcata's:
Vegas- I lived in Las Vegas when I got him.
Tejas- I lived in Texas when I got him.
Honey- Because she has such a sweet personality even with all the horribly care she had.

Box Turtles.
Zilla- It's short for godzilla, he was the most aggrisive eater and he is the biggest of the three clutch mates.
Stem- My daughter was studying about flowers in school and she choose the name.
Millie- She is the smallest of the three and my wife named her because it sounded like a cute little girls name.

Hermanns:
Oogway- His previous owner named him after Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda and we decided not to change it.

Redfoot:
Alice- I love the Resident Evil movies and video game so I name her after the main character.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
My 2 Sulcata are Sherman and Panzer...Tanks.
Russian tort...Vladamir
2 RF my daughter named..Blueberry and Freddy
she named my Iguana Frog...I like it
To many turtles to name them all

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
my grandmother also has a baby sulcata, my sister is going to be making a profile on here, but there tortoise name is Gibbs, because my grandma loves NCIS lol

Status
Not open for further replies.