What's the most money you wasted on the hobby?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My thought exactly.

So let me play this out so I can understand.

My T-8 bulb burned out and I'm too cheap to buy a new one. So I walk into the pet store carrying the bad bulb, go to the lighting section and, in plain sight of god and everyone, I open a new bulb box, remove the new bulb and insert my bad bulb into the box. Wouldn't it be just as easy to walk into the pet store and remove a new bulb and walk out with it? Either way you're carrying a bulb. I don't get it. They must do it for the rush.

And as far as the finding a burned out bulb in the new box goes, if you have your receipt all you need do is take it back to the store.
Usually what they do is buy the new bulb, take it home switch the bulbs and then return the old burnt out one for a refund in the carton the new one was in.
When they try this at the fish store I work at it doesnt work. We test every bulb before it leaves the store.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
as far as waisting money goes.. i guess growing up owning reptiles.. as a kid I would buy ( well my parents would buy) the fake plants from the pet stores for like 12 bucks or more..whenn u can go to walmart and get way bigger ones for 2 bucks lol

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
A million, huh?
You know I could give you a great deal on a wheelbarrow full of Redfoot.
That's why I like a little Russian. He doesn't mind flying in my hand. He knows that it's time to go outside and play?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
as far as waisting money goes.. i guess growing up owning reptiles.. as a kid I would buy ( well my parents would buy) the fake plants from the pet stores for like 12 bucks or more..whenn u can go to walmart and get way bigger ones for 2 bucks lol
Expensive fake plants ? I was just in Lowe’s and in a 8” pot was a $16 devils ivy (pothos) wtf

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Usually what they do is buy the new bulb, take it home switch the bulbs and then return the old burnt out one for a refund in the carton the new one was in.
When they try this at the fish store I work at it doesnt work. We test every bulb before it leaves the store.
But that returned bulb doesn't get put back on the for sale shelf. The OP was complaining about buying a bulb that was burned out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
But that returned bulb doesn't get put back on the for sale shelf. The OP was complaining about buying a bulb that was burned out.
Oh but there are so many places that do not check out the returns. Most stores now days won't even ask if something is wrong with the item you are returning. They just take it and put it in their return baskets and eventually it gets put back out for sale. When I return a bad item I purposely have to tell them if it's bad or not cuz no one asks, most don't care. It's sad.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Oh but there are so many places that do not check out the returns. Most stores now days won't even ask if something is wrong with the item you are returning. They just take it and put it in their return baskets and eventually it gets put back out for sale. When I return a bad item I purposely have to tell them if it's bad or not cuz no one asks, most don't care. It's sad.
Some stores specifically do not return electronics

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is so old school. You can talk to them, connect them to WiFi, they even color change so yes even light bulbs have become electronics!
Wait, are you calling me OLD school? ?
I know there are bulbs like that, I don't know of any for aquariums.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I've spent considerably more on my stained glass hobby than on my chelonian hobby. But I don't consider any of it wasted. Now the beaucoup money I spent on my own offspring...that's another story.
Yep! And the dang things multiply.? before you know it.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
?
A light bulb is not an electronic.
It would be nice to have some lights that don't take lectric ?? especially for my aquarium...Arrow would probably be ok if the electricity goes out but his plants would be sad and forlorn.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It would be nice to have some lights that don't take lectric ?? especially for my aquarium...Arrow would probably be ok if the electricity goes out but his plants would be sad and forlorn.
BEVERLY'S pet center in Hollywood Florida considers lights as non refundable electronics.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
BEVERLY'S pet center in Hollywood Florida considers lights as non refundable electronics.
Since bulbs don't have little hour counters on them then who is to know? If I brought it back a week later I could have put 168 hours on it! Imagine clerks doing math to see if you went beyond a preset hour limit. I would buy bulbs just to take back to watch that show!!!!