Whats the daily "normal" behavior of a hatchling Graeca?

BrunoSousa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lisbon, Portugal
Hi everyone! As some of you know, Ninja is my baby Graeca that i helped rescue. She's doing fine, despite that parasite problem (that is being taking care of, next week she returns to the vet to check it):
eats very well and does the "normal" things, such as:
I turn the lights on at 07:30 am (Heat and UVB, I still don't have the MVB, hope to get it this week)
  1. 07:30 AM > She is buried
  2. Around 11 AM to 2 PM she usually wakes up
  3. Goes to eat
  4. Bask for a few minutes
  5. Then goes to little shadow place, near the basking spot
  6. Then sleeps until 4 PM/5 PM
  7. Repeats 3, 4 and 5
  8. 6:30/7:00 PM i daily soak her in warm water, and usually she defecate and pee at this soaking moment
  9. When she returns to the enclosure, usually she eats a little bit
  10. 7:30 PM Goes to sleep, buried.
  11. 8:30 PM I turn off the lights

She does not goes around the enclosure (145 cm x 70 cm) "for a walk", there's parts of the enclosure that rarely went to... The food is allways in te same place (today i put it in the far side of the enclosure, to make her walk more and search for food)

NOTE:
Yesterday, she buried herself at 4 PM and i had to go pick her to soak, when i arrived home (6:30 PM), then she did her usual behavior, eat a little and buried again.

Many thanks in advance, and sorry for bothering you..

More info about Ninja and her conditions, here.

Temps/humidity, currently, are:
  • Day
    • One side of enclosure
      Ambient: 24 to 30 celsius, 35 in the basking spot / Humidity: 30% to 45%
    • Other side: 18 to 21 celsius / Humidity: 60% to 70%
  • Night
    • Temps drop to 20/17 celsius / Humidity around 80% / 90%

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think you're putting too much thought into this. Just relax and let the tortoise be a tortoise. There is no schedule for tortoises.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
What substrates are you using? Those big wood chips look quite dry and hard to walk on. Perhaps she'd have more mobility if you used something easier to move on (well packed down coco coir or cypress or fir mulch are popular alternatives). Different substrate and deeper substrate is likely in order (I assume the white under the cardboard is the bare enclosure?). I would have assumed since you have that cardboard in there that it is quite dry? - I'm surprised it isn't falling apart with 90% RH. What are you using to measure the relative humidity with? Try to make it feel more natural - add some plants and non-cardboard hides.

BrunoSousa

5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
What substrates are you using? Those big wood chips look quite dry and hard to walk on. Perhaps she'd have more mobility if you used something easier to move on (well packed down coco coir or cypress or fir mulch are popular alternatives). Different substrate and deeper substrate is likely in order (I assume the white under the cardboard is the bare enclosure?). I would have assumed since you have that cardboard in there that it is quite dry? - I'm surprised it isn't falling apart with 90% RH. What are you using to measure the relative humidity with? Try to make it feel more natural - add some plants and non-cardboard hides.

Thank you, @SarahChelonoidis
Yes, i will change the wood chips with more coco coir, all around and to be much deeper. Do you recommend some other kind of substrate?
Or Coco Coir, Cypress and Fir mulch will do? I read that Top soil and sand will be fine, too?

I measure with this:
319xl7FiPQL._SX300_.jpg

The humidity in Portugal (my city), at the time of the year is around 72% day (rainy days), and increases at night to around 90%
Near the basking light it's very dry, but a few inches apart, the humidity increases naturally.
I'll change her enclosure to a more natural feel, that's my plan since i placed Ninja in this new enclosure, i didn't have the right knowledge to, so, i ask you guys for help.
Help, that i most thank you.