What's it like on the Steppe?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've been pretty lucky this year with the Russian breeding project, with all three of my girls making nests and laying eggs, and the biggest one even did two clutches, several days apart.

The leopards, I've gotten the hang of that one, but I've not raised Russian babies before. I need some advice about keeping these, so far four, babies alive until Will comes to get them later this summer. I had a Vision cage all set up ready for leopard babies, so when these eggs started hatching a whole month before I was expecting them, I just put them in the Vision cage. This is a monsoon cage, and I don't think there's "monsoon" on the steppe. So please help me out here, folks.

Russian eggs 6-21.jpg
Russian babies 7-21 a.jpg
Russian babies 7-21 b.jpg

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I found an article on the steppes online that tells some on a National Geographic link. And some other info too. They're considered a dry grassy plains much like our great plains and no trees. Just short grasses around 20 inches tall maybe. I've wondered about this for a long time also.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I think she meant the Russian steppe, seeing as Russian tortoises are aka 'steppe tortoises'

Is there a similar ecosystem ranking system for different places worldwide?
What I read does call our great plains steppes. But that's because of the lack of trees I think. Maybe the dryness and the short grasses with no trees signifies that.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i believe that ecoregion exist across the globe ..........

an uzbekistan steppe
5558698783_8c264c3b67_b.jpg

a colorado steppe
shrubsteppe_RJR.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
i believe that ecoregion exist across the globe ..........

an uzbekistan steppe
5558698783_8c264c3b67_b.jpg

a colorado steppe
shrubsteppe_RJR.jpg
Yes. That's kinda what I came across. Uzbekistan is the one I want to know about like YavonneG. I'm so glad she started this thread.?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So my babies should be kept in a less well-planted area and on the dry side? I have another Vision cage I can set up for them once I learn what they need.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
So my babies should be kept in a less well-planted area and on the dry side? I have another Vision cage I can set up for them once I learn what they need.
I'm not really an expert, but I have russian babies that are growing well. I think the monsoon enclosure is fine. I keep mine super moist, in a very humid enclosure with nice moist coco coir. I spray the tank down several times a day, so it is always moist and humid. They have smooth growth so far and are very healthy. Only thing I'd change in yours is to take away a few of the plants for more walking space but overall great.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They need the same humidity as most others, 80%@Tom and @Carol S both raised or raises them and would be the best advice.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
my son in law is from kazakhstan , they live in colorado , next time i talk to him i'll ask the difference .......

kazakhstan steppe
meadow_steppe._ulba._ilya_smelansky.jpg

wyoming steppe
Shrub-steppe-dominated-by-Wyoming-big-sagebrush-and-bluebunch-wheatgrass-in-Douglas.png

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Oh man. . . Poor little baby tortoises that hatch there! They must spend a lot of time underground.
they estivate in the dry season and hibernate in the cold season , i've read there are parts of their range where the active season is 2 months .......

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Oh man. . . Poor little baby tortoises that hatch there! They must spend a lot of time underground.
I don't want to make a joke of this buttt I do understand why the good Lord put them on pretty much flat ground with no trees. They are little monkeys. I wonder what the humidity is underground there because I figure you're right. They stay underground a lot. 10 to 20 inches of rain a year isn't very much.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been pretty lucky this year with the Russian breeding project, with all three of my girls making nests and laying eggs, and the biggest one even did two clutches, several days apart.

The leopards, I've gotten the hang of that one, but I've not raised Russian babies before. I need some advice about keeping these, so far four, babies alive until Will comes to get them later this summer. I had a Vision cage all set up ready for leopard babies, so when these eggs started hatching a whole month before I was expecting them, I just put them in the Vision cage. This is a monsoon cage, and I don't think there's "monsoon" on the steppe. So please help me out here, folks.

View attachment 328920
View attachment 328918
View attachment 328919
Here is what I've found to work best. Rather than speculate, guess and argue about what the wild is like for them, I prefer to do what I know works best in captivity for them. I don't do monsoon for them. I do damp substrate, humid hide, open top, warm days and cool nights.