What's in that leaf, grocery and garden, published nutrient list.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I have a thin leopard tortoise that doesn't seem to eat his share, so I've started setting him up by himself, out of sight of the others in his yard. I'm going to buy some bee pollen and see if it encourages him to eat any better. I'll keep you informed.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I have a thin leopard tortoise that doesn't seem to eat his share, so I've started setting him up by himself, out of sight of the others in his yard. I'm going to buy some bee pollen and see if it encourages him to eat any better. I'll keep you informed.
Hey Yvonne! Any luck with that pollen. I have it for my beardie and didn't know if my redfoot would like it too. She eats well, but extra nutrients are always nice ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey Yvonne! Any luck with that pollen. I have it for my beardie and didn't know if my redfoot would like it too. She eats well, but extra nutrients are always nice ?
No, the tortoise died before it had time to do anything for him.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Do you have info for Bougainvillea leaves/flowers?

Hi Camo,

I just saw this today. None of my regular go to webpages list this plant as edible. It is considered mildly toxic to people and mammal pets. With the different species living so broadly in south America you'd think that at least some of the wild type diet lists would list is as food for one of the south American species of tortoise.

I found this which does not address these plants as food for tortoises, but offer some idea that a few leaves if ingested will probably not be a horrible situation.

Bougainvillea Genus: A Review on Phytochemistry, Pharmacology, and Toxicology​

Rodolfo Abarca-Vargas 1, Vera L Petricevich 1
Affiliations expand
Free PMC article

Abstract​

This review discusses the current knowledge of the phytochemistry and in vitro and in vivo evaluations carried out using the extracts and, where appropriate, the main active components isolated from the genus Bougainvillea. Out of 18 species, most phytochemical, pharmacological, and toxicological studies focused on four species with different cultivars and one hybrid. Some plants are used for the treatment of various health disorders. Numerous phytochemical investigations of plants in this genus confirm the presence of aliphatic hydrocarbons, fatty acids, fatty alcohols, volatile compounds, phenolic compounds, peltogynoids, flavonoids, phytosterols, terpenes, carbohydrates, and betalains. Various studies have confirmed that these extracts or active substances that were isolated from the genus Bougainvillea have multiple pharmacological activities. Some species of Bougainvillea have emerged as sources of traditional medicine in human health. More studies of the phytochemical, pharmacological, and toxicological properties and their mechanisms of action, safety, and efficacy in all Bougainvillea species, cultivars, and hybrids are advisable for future research.

here is another that gives a basic shoulder shrug as to toxicity...

It works better to get a response out of me by doing this @Kapidolo Farms

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
Will or anyone,

any thoughts on these plants, tortoise table didnt have them (did have some related ones). They currently occupy where I'm building out tortoise enclosures. Looking for a "leave it" "destroy it" "cultivate it (they will enjoy it) opinion on them. I dont want to destroy anything that could be of benefit to them.

Erechtites hieraciifolius
Rosa Chinesis
Senna obtusifolia
Acalypha virginica
Justicia californica
solanum carolinese (guessing no, member of nightshade family)
Amaranthus spinosus

mools

California
Plantain the weedy plant, not the banana like thing

https://www.feedipedia.org/node/114

One thing I notice the crazy good C: P ratio and the high potassium. I have heard concern regarding high potassium in the diets of long lived iguanas, (Caribbean Cyclura). To some extent based on wild diets for those lizards. They too are long lived (60 years plus). Are any of you tortoise diet folks aware of this nutrient as a stand alone or in combination with other nutrients causing some kind of issue when found in higher proportion diet items???

The specific regard was that potassium might also create an unfavorable calcium utility. I also consider that maybe the person who expressed the concern flipflopped Potassium with Phosphorus? Anyone that can share something on this please do.
Any information on plantago major? I can't seem to find much to determine Ca: P ratio

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Any information on plantago major? I can't seem to find much to determine Ca: P ratio
It seems that in the Galapagos the tortoises make best use of very poor food value diets and live 200 years so I imagine unless it is a totally un natural captive diet our captives can do the same. I believe their living environment and including lighting has a great deal to do with longevity. Perhaps this is the main reason so many or all tortoises eat their and other animals dung to salvage any useful elements from already digested food.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I have posted on opuntia in it's own thread. And then if I could teach you to fish, not just accpet it already caught, wink wink. Use the same search resources I refer to and you'll get the sources.