1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

What's in that leaf, grocery and garden, published nutrient list.

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by Kapidolo Farms, Nov 1, 2017.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. William Lee Kohler

William Lee Kohler Active Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Eugene, OR
    Surprised have not seen Chard on here. How about Green Chard?
  2. Kapidolo Farms

Kapidolo Farms Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South of Southern California, but not Mexico
    Swiss (green) Chard, Beta vulgaris

USDA https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/...Chard,+swiss,+raw&ds=&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chard

The Tortoise Table https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=176&c=8#.XBlXU2hKhaQ

Feedipedia https://www.feedipedia.org/node/534

So more or less a 'variety' of beets which is interesting. High calcium, but I found it's very hard to find references to how much of that might already be bound (not available) with oxalate).

3. CandyAss

CandyAss Member

Escondido
    Have you done cilantro already? I looked through the thread and didn't see it, but I'm also catching up on last night's Saturday Night Live at the same time.
    Thanks for this thread, it's great!
  4. RosemaryDW

RosemaryDW Well-Known Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

Newport Coast, CA
    Which have more calcium, radish or turnip leaves?
  5. SPILL

SPILL Active Member

Illinois
    Are you able to find anything on mango leaves? How about fenugreek greens/methi?
  6. Okapizebra

Okapizebra Member

Wellington Florida
    Hi, I see this thread has been dug up and I had a question if anyone knew the answer.

I see delonix regia listed here from a post in may 2018, but the feedipedia page only gives nutrient info on the seed pods. The seed pods on this tree are incredibly tough and I can't imagine a tort eating them. Does anyone happen to know if the leaves or flowers are edible for tortoises? And nutrient info on them? They are everywhere around here and I'd love to take advantage of that if I can. Thanks!
  7. Kapidolo Farms

Kapidolo Farms Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

I've neglected this thread for a bit, sorry about that. I'll seek to carve time out to answer info requests, and I made it a 'watched' thread now too.

What brings me back is that I found a rater rare composition of a commonly fed item, at least for folks in more tropical areas. I pulled it from a PhD thesis and only copied the two tables that get to the nutrient content of the item, Banana leaf, petiole, and stalk.

If you want more of the text let me know. I'll be watching this thread better.

Attached Files:

8. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    Bok Choy is one of the brassicas, like cabbage. It is quite nutritious with
    vitamins A and C, and minerals such as calcium. Any cabbage is just fine used as
    a part of a varied diet. Those with dark green leaves (such as bok choy) or the
    especially the red cabbages provide excellent nutrition. So there is no reason
    to avoid them.

The brassicas contain glucosinolates, in particular the goitrogens, so if it is
    overused and iodine is not replaced in some way, there could be health issues
    over many years, such as the growth of a goiter. Providing cuttlebone, or other
    source of trace iodine (for instance, seaweed), solves the problem and allows
    the tortoise to eat these excellent foods.

The "good foods / bad foods" paradigm for feeding tortoises is a highly flawed
    concept that eliminates far too many excellent sources of high quality nutrition
    and ignores how tortoises eat in the wild. Use all types of plants, always in
    moderation, and provide calcium in a separate form so that the animals can
    self-regulate. Cuttlebone is a very good choice for this, as it also provides
    trace iodine.

Mary at the turtle Puddle
  9. Kapidolo Farms

Yeah, that!!!!!!!!!!!!!