What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Like I said, my vet of 25yrs who would come to my house for my dogs retired and moved away last year. The current vet consists of 5 vets and they won't do house calls due to liability.

So, here's where we stand today....
I went to their office after work yesterday. They gave me an ointment (hydro cordizone I think) to rub on the inside of his ear to take the swelling of the tumors down some. They also gave me some type of codeine to give him orally to keep him relaxed. The 3rd and final thing they gave me is the saddest, which is a single pill to give him for when I know it's time, that will put him to sleep so I can take him up there to be put down.

I posted this thread because I had already made up my mind on how I was going to handle it, and really needed some feedback so I would know that I left no stone unturned. I'm sticking with my original plan, which is to make him as comfortable as I possibly can and let him pass at home. Even with that pill, I cannot take him to that place that he dreaded more than anything, even if he was unaware of it. Somehow I feel that I would go on carrying the burden of knowing I broke his trust.

On a positive note, he hadn't eaten since Wednesday, and this morning he ate a half a can of tuna.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, you'll know when he's ready to let go, and maybe that pill will relax him enough that he can let go in peace.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if you give A Lot of the sedative.. it will do what he needs.. and if he is really ready.. it may not take much..
Peace be with you..

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
moswen said:
some of them don't just "fall asleep-" some of them fight and spazm and defacate on themselves

I have seen literally hundreds of animals euthanized, and I have never witnessed that.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
harris said:
Like I said, my vet of 25yrs who would come to my house for my dogs retired and moved away last year. The current vet consists of 5 vets and they won't do house calls due to liability.

I went to their office after work yesterday. They gave me an ointment (hydro cordizone I think) to rub on the inside of his ear to take the swelling of the tumors down some. They also gave me some type of codeine to give him orally to keep him relaxed. The 3rd and final thing they gave me is the saddest, which is a single pill to give him for when I know it's time, that will put him to sleep so I can take him up there to be put down.

I posted this thread because I had already made up my mind on how I was going to handle it, and really needed some feedback so I would know that I left no stone unturned. I'm sticking with my original plan, which is to make him as comfortable as I possibly can and let him pass at home. Even with that pill, I cannot take him to that place that he dreaded more than anything, even if he was unaware of it. Somehow I feel that I would go on carrying the burden of knowing I broke his trust.

On a positive note, he hadn't eaten since Wednesday, and this morning he ate a half a can of tuna.

This is so heartbreaking....I'm so, so sorry. All I can say is ..try and be strong. Hugs!

moswen

5 Year Member
Shelly said:
terryo said:
Here we have Vets that will come to the house to put an animal down.

Be prepared to spend many, many hundreds of dollars for that service.

i'm not trying to insult or make you mad shelly, but if you have a pet that you're not prepared to spend some money on at some point in your life, then you probably should not be keeping a pet. thinking that it could break a leg, and that you wouldn't pay for the vet bill, makes me think that that person doesn't love or care for their pets very much.

Shelly said:
moswen said:
some of them don't just "fall asleep-" some of them fight and spazm and defacate on themselves

I have seen literally hundreds of animals euthanized, and I have never witnessed that.

well, that's what the post on craig's said. i'm not sayng i've witnessed it or know it to be true, i'm just saying that's what the self-proclaimed vet who posted that information on craig'slist said.

harris, it sounds like everyone on here is feeling for you, and rooting for your little one. i hope it ends nicely. we're all thinking about you!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
harris said:
I took in a stray cat about a year and a half ago that was hanging out in my backyard eating my birds. Since then I have really become attached to him. Great big, black long haired fella. The vet estimates him at about 5-6 years old. Speaking of the vet, I have never had an animal react the way he does when he goes to the vet. He goes absolutley crazy, like he's possessed. It literally takes 3 of them to control him. A couple of months ago I had to take him to the vet as he was developing a persitent cough. Turns out his lungs are loaded with cancer. The vet gave him a shot (The name escapes me) and said it will make him feel better/comfortable but that he only has about a month. That was 2 months ago. I never heard him cough and he was back to his old self. Well, this Monday he started weezing, and it is getting progressively worse. He stopped eating on Wednesday. Here is where I'm torn: Do I take him back to the vet where they can end his misery, knowing that the last memory of his life will be the place he fears and hates more than anything? Or do I let him ride it out at home, a place that he knows and loves, but will suffer it out until the end? Besides not eating and weezing he is still acting as lovable as he's always been.

When one of our cats had to be put to sleep, our vet just gave me a hypo and directions...she went to sleep in my daughter's laps, content.

Ask your vet if this might be an option, harris.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
You are making the right decision. My heart is just breaking for you, and I am praying for peace for you and your family.

harris said:

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
terracolson said:
How are you doing?

Seems this thread is a month old..

He passed Saturday evening.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
A Simple Message From Your Pet

by Ken D. Conover

To have loved and then said farewell is better than to have never loved at all.
For all of the times that you stooped and touched my head, fed me my favorite treat and
returned the love that I so unconditionally gave to you. For the care that you gave to me
so unselfishly. For all of these things I am grateful and thankful. I ask that you grieve
not for the loss but rejoice in the fact that we lived, loved and touched each other's lives.
My life was fuller because you were there, not as owner, but as my friend. Today, I am
as I was in my youth. The grass is always green, butterflies flit among fthe flowers and
the sun shines gently down upon all of God's creatures. I can run, jump and play
and do all of the things that I did in my youth. There is no sickness, no aching joints
and no regrets and no aging. We await the arrival of our lifelong companions and know
that togetherness is forever. You live in our hearts as we do in yours. Companions such
as you are very rare and unique. Don't hold the love that you have within yourself.
Give it to another like me and then I will live forever. For love never really dies,
and you are loved and missed as surely as we are.

Your pet in heaven.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Oh, Terra, that is beautiful.

And I am glad the sweet kitty is no longer suffering, though of course you will miss him dreadfully.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Damn you terra I do not cry very often, but you just made me cry. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.