what will happen if russian don't have uv light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Las Vegas Nevada
ok i have a russian tort for about 2 months now and she still don't have uv light. but last month i put her outside for sunlight and now she can't because its cold. so is it okay for her without uv light for these month?

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Why don't you just buy her a UV light for your inside enclosure? Then you won't be taking any chances.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
if you can regularly give your tortoise outdoor time throughout the year, then a few weeks inside during winter will not harm her.

however, if you do no give her enough time outside you will be risking serious health issues by not providing her with artificial uv lighting.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
In captivity, an RT (or really any tort) needs UVB light. Without it, bones can't grow properly, the tort will be less hungry, less active, and could become sick and die.
You can buy an 18 inch 10.0 UVB tube light + fixture on Amazon for $33 shipped. That's a lot cheaper than a vet visit to help a dying tort...

russian tortoise boy said:
ok i have a russian tort for about 2 months now and she still don't have uv light. but last month i put her outside for sunlight and now she can't because its cold. so is it okay for her without uv light for these month?

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
North Las Vegas Nevada
Tyrtle said:
Why don't you just buy her a UV light for your inside enclosure? Then you won't be taking any chances.
because i'm still short $20 for powersun mvb bulb and $17 for lamp so i have to wait until christmas to have money (i'm just 13)

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Here is a link to a different brand that is better (and cheaper!) than the powersun: http://www.bigappleherp.com/Sun-Force-Mercury-Vapor-Bulbs?sc=2&category=20 - it 'only' costs $29.99. I know a lot of folks on here on this forum swear by this bulb.

Rather than not having any UVB, I would opt for the cheaper version. The powersun MVB actually burns out faster than it should, I am not a fan. Because I have 4 different kinds of reptile set-ups I actually opted to get the tube-light kind, since that way I can just order 4 every Fall, it's less expensive. My torts spend a lot of the Summer outside.

Tyrtle said:
because i'm still short $20 for powersun mvb bulb and $17 for lamp so i have to wait until christmas to have money (i'm just 13)

russian tortoise boy

5 Year Member
North Las Vegas Nevada
biochemnerd808 said:
Here is a link to a different brand that is better (and cheaper!) than the powersun: http://www.bigappleherp.com/Sun-Force-Mercury-Vapor-Bulbs?sc=2&category=20 - it 'only' costs $29.99. I know a lot of folks on here on this forum swear by this bulb.

Rather than not having any UVB, I would opt for the cheaper version. The powersun MVB actually burns out faster than it should, I am not a fan. Because I have 4 different kinds of reptile set-ups I actually opted to get the tube-light kind, since that way I can just order 4 every Fall, it's less expensive. My torts spend a lot of the Summer outside.

Tyrtle said:
so does this produce heat? i only red something about uva and uvb. and how much is their shipping fee? and when do they deliver it? thanks a lot

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I am 11 so i know what you are going through. You could buy a tube uvb (that is what i use). They are cheaper that MVB.

Status
Not open for further replies.