What were your "beginner mistakes"?

Hrairoo

Location (City and/or State)
BC, Canada
We all make mistakes, especially when we are new to something! What were some of your errors regarding tortoises when you got your first?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I started with turtles and tortoises more than 30 years ago. my beginner mistake was lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of fruits and vegetables lots I mean a lot

Hrairoo

BC, Canada
I started with turtles and tortoises more than 30 years ago. my beginner mistake was lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of fruits and vegetables lots I mean a lot
Yikes, that musta been very hard on them!
I had a turtle, we were never sure what kind of turtle she was, but we always fed her everything and anything. (Wild caught, still living seafood, to cooked crab! She even ate my favourite goldfish, which was quite surprising, the fish was at least half of the turtle's size O_O)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Taking in a rescued tortoise and knowing absolutely nothing about his care. :( I had no idea there were so many species of torts with such different needs!
Thankfully it was very hot in the UK at the time so UVB and weeds were plentiful and I found this forum and Tom put me in touch with another UK leopard keeper (yourlocalpoet) who responded very quickly so that I was able to go out and buy everything I needed within a couple of days. I still learn something new everyday.:)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I started with box turtles over 20 years ago. While I got the lighting correct and had a large wooden box made so had plenty of room, i made the mistake of using recycled paper bedding at first.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
I was raising CDT back in the day and I read everything about their care. Therefore I limited their protein intake and kept them warm and DRY. I gave pyramided little tortoises to everyone I knew.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I listened to a friend's advice on how many tortoises to get (2) and on how to keep them. Then I went online and read things similar to what she had told me and decided that must be how to keep Leopards. Then they both got respiratory infections. And then....I found TFO and asked a lot of questions, got a lot of good advice (even if it was hard to hear sometimes since I realized I was doing everything wrong) and now my tortoises are thriving.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I don't remember where I got it ,but I saw a "black light" and thought it would be great for night heat ! Luckily I gave it a test run first , as soon as I smelled the paint burning and saw it curling off the bulb I knew I got handled ! Oh well . :rolleyes:

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Agreeing to take in two Red Eared Slider babies before I knew just how much was involved with them. :rolleyes: I don't regret it though and my not-so-little-ones are almost due for their next upgrade, goodbye 65 gallon, hello 200 gallon (now I just need to find the space for it...and the money:D).

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
care wise and habitat wise i was spot on but my enclosures weren't very sturdy and needed replaces a lot. i JUST got good at enclosures i've been through my fair share of enclosures but i've finally got the process understood

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did my research, but this forum didn't come up. Because there was so much conflicting info, I chose to listen to the breeder. Bad choice.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I got a turtle before finding the group. Did my research, thought I was doing thing right. I read the book! Sure is a lot of conflicting info out there. Then I found the tortoise forum. Made all the difference. Now I feel better about my turtles and tortoises . I know they will get the right care. Best place ever!

hingeback

5 Year Member
Malaysia
substrate and plants! The coco coir is very little, and she can't dig through the clay beneath so she had to lay her eggs on the ground. The hill I made her keeps eroding. Way too little plants, she hides under the hill everyday.

surfergirl

I too researched and was told dry and hot for sullys, no humidity and closed chambers were bad cause bacteria and infections my sully is not too bumpy but he definitely deserved a smoother shell. I now believe humidity is king with the proper temps of course.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I researched right here but SOMEHOW in all the info i read (lots) I missed where you weren't supposed to keep them in PAIRS! Ugh...