What waterproof flooring to use in a heated enclosure?

Ghazan

5 Year Member
With the cooler weather here in Socal my leopards are spending more time in their heated enclosure outside. They inevitably poop/pee inside and it's a pain to clean and stinks.

I was wondering what do you guys use so the wood doesn't get soaked or smell with time? Was thinking of using a second piece of thin wood on top or a lunch tray - something I can pull out to clean? Any other good ideas? It's outside dimensions are 4x2" insulated box based off Tom's design.
Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I laid a soft pvc lining that comes on a roll at home depot that is used for a shower liner when building a shower.
It can be glued together and glued down or you could tack it down or not attach it at all.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
With the cooler weather here in Socal my leopards are spending more time in their heated enclosure outside. They inevitably poop/pee inside and it's a pain to clean and stinks.

I was wondering what do you guys use so the wood doesn't get soaked or smell with time? Was thinking of using a second piece of thin wood on top or a lunch tray - something I can pull out to clean? Any other good ideas? It's outside dimensions are 4x2" insulated box based off Tom's design.
Thanks
I use laminate flooring that is made to be used in wet rooms. It's easy to install and very easy to clean. Any laminate flooring would work but if its not made for wet room use just put some poly down before installing the flooring.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Rubber horse matting comes to mind, and of course you should put some kind of substrate inside the box, that will help with absorbing urine and poo, then you just need to change the bedding usually to keep it clean.

Ghazan

5 Year Member
Is cat litter too dessicating? They are 12-14lbs (3.5 years old) now so not doing the humid hide box anymore

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Wouldn't advise cat litter they could eat it and it could cause the gut to become impacted or choke.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I've seen some members using plastic trays that fit in their enclosures with the section of the side near the doorway, cut out. That will hold substrate and be easy to swap in.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I use pond liner in mine. Very easy to take out, spray down, and put back in.

Central islip
I have an open pen in my room, I have laminate floors, as others have suggested, but I found it easier to put down a plastic table cover and use timothy hay. If a certain area is soiled you can simply get a dog poop bag, pick it up, wipe down the area, and fill the hole with more hay. I've potty trained my tortoise to use wee-wee pads. Maybe you can do that too?