what type of tortoise?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
20171009_215115.jpg 20171010_125850.jpg Yesterday my friend text me about a tortoise he found in his front yard. I thought maybe a sulcata hatching. I went to his house to look at the tortoise. It very small must of hatched only a few weeks ago. Its active and alert. It doesn't seem to.have any spurs at all. Is it a sulcata ? Or is it a desert tortoise ? I don't want him to care for the wrong tortoise. Here are a few pictures. I'll try and have him send me a underside picture .

Kyle

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
It is a desert tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is a recently hatched desert tortoise. You can still see the egg tooth. These hatch out of the ground in late September and through October here. They need months of summer heat to incubate in the ground. Its a very nice looking light colored one too! :)

Make sure he knows to soak it daily, in contrast to what most care sheets for this species say.

I raise them just like this:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

The only difference is that I offer more grass to DTs than I would a russian.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
This is a recently hatched desert tortoise. You can still see the egg tooth. These hatch out of the ground in late September and through October here. They need months of summer heat to incubate in the ground. Its a very nice looking light colored one too! :)

Make sure he knows to soak it daily, in contrast to what most care sheets for this species say.

I raise them just like this:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

The only difference is that I offer more grass to DTs than I would a russian.

Thanks Tom. I'll send him the links. I love down the street too so I can help him out and get pictures lol

Kyle