what type of tortoise is this?

turtlesitter

20151120_135238.jpg Hi, im dog and house sitting and the guy has a turtle too... they said just to feed it lettuce but I used to have a classroom pet tortoise that liked fruit and flowers... I was wondering what type of turtle this was so I know if I could feed it something besides lettuce, I feel a little bad for it

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
I've no idea but it looks very dry in there. Does it have a big plant saucer to self soak in?
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk will give you some ideas for tort safe plants

dwright27

5 Year Member
I'm not sure either. But you're right, he needs more than lettuce! The tortoise table site is great. I would avoid fruit until you know the species.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I've no idea but it looks very dry in there. Does it have a big plant saucer to self soak in?
www.thetortoisetable.org.uk will give you some ideas for tort safe plants
Just make sure any you feed are not treated with chemical sprays or fertilisers e.g. shop bought plants in pots etc.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It looks like a very poorly kept sulcata, that's in too small of an enclosure and needs a much better diet then just lettuce. Quite sad that they didn't think enough about him to let you know ahead of time they had it, or maybe I misunderstood. It does need water 24/7 and a UVB light. Depending on where you are located and how cold the house is, it does need heat too. Would be great if you could better his life while your house sitting and then maybe you could get the owners to further better the poor guys life.
More pics from front, head and legs would help to confirm species
Btw, thanks for caring enough to do some research for him and joining us. Pass this forum on to his owners too please. Maybe you could talk them into letting you have the tort? I think you would give it a good home.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Poor tortoise. Yes, it's a sulcata, and by the looks of him he hasn't had the best care/diet/conditions. We have a very good care sheet for Sulcata tortoises pinned at the top of our sulcata section.

Start by setting him in a shallow tub of warm water and just leave him there for about a half hour. The water should come up to the middle of his sides.

Print out the care sheet so you can give it to the tortoise's owner when they come to get him. He needs some big changes in his life.

Tippiethetortoise

5 Year Member
Galveston, Tx
I feel so bad for this little guy :( It's obvious he hasn't had that good of care. Maybe you could show them pictures of healthy sulcatas and they will realize how poor of shape theirs is in.

dwright27

5 Year Member
Wow.. I couldn't even recognize him as a sully. I'm such a n00b lol.

Best of luck, I hope something can be done for him

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Poor tortoise. I really hope his/her days are getting better from today on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

turtlesitter

Thanks everyone that helps, he has a water dish and light and lives in southern California so pretty sure it stays hot enough. Ill read through the tips and try to find something to cheer him up :)

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
also check the light bulb. I can't really see a reflection good but is it a swiggly one? Those are bad.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yup just like that!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
No probs - twice as nice.
Just a quick tip in case you've not spotted it anywhere - if that's a people bath tub make sure soap or cleaning products etc are cleaned away before popping him in as torts will absorb water while they are in it as well as drink it, and don't be surprised if he wees or poops in it!! He really does look relaxed there!

Last edited:

turtlesitter

I tried to get him to follow a lettuce trail to get some exercise.... he thought the lettuce was a trap and went the opposite direction

Attachments

• 1448136057865.jpg
    1448136057865.jpg
    424.1 KB · Views: 33

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I tried to get him to follow a lettuce trail to get some exercise.... he thought the lettuce was a trap and went the opposite direction
He could be nervous if he's not used to being out of his tank - its a big scary world out there and the floor will be much colder!
Keep your eye out for anything he could swallow - they will eat anything - socks, pins plastic - anything!!