What type of substrate??

Scott stevenson

Location (City and/or State)
MOTHERWELL
Hi, I'm new to tortoises and I will be getting a horsefield tortoise and I'm just wondering if herbi-floor is good enough for the little guys

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Herbifloor is no good partner. I take it you are across the pond from the US so I would recommend Reptibark it is fine fir bark

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
Herbifloor is no good partner. I take it you are across the pond from the US so I would recommend Reptibark it is fine fir bark

ReptiBark has a cancer warning on the back.
"WARNING: Drilling, sawing, sanding or machining wood products can expose you to wood dust, a substance known to the State of California to cause cancer. Avoid inhaling wood dust or use a dust mask or other safeguards for personal protection."

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
"WARNING: Drilling, sawing, sanding or machining wood products can expose you to wood dust, a substance known to the State of California to cause cancer. Avoid inhaling wood dust or use a dust mask or other safeguards for personal protection."
OMG! Really??? Everything in CA has a cancer warning. Water has a cancer warning in CA.

Damp substrate generates no dust.

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
OMG! Really??? Everything in CA has a cancer warning. Water has a cancer warning in CA.

Damp substrate generates no dust.
Yes, that exactly what it says on the back of the bag. I noticed that too about CA, but it’s still scary to see.
I live in the north east where we have old heating systems. Homes are very dry. No matter how often I wet it parts always end up dry. It’s been a 10 year battle. So I’m trying to search for the safest stuff.

Coopa

Louisiana
I’ve read on here that crushed walnut is bad for russian tortoises, but I have a good bit of it because I read on russian-tortoise.com that it was the best option...https://russian-tortoise.com/russian-tortoise-substrate-and-bedding/. But from the little I’ve read on here, that guy is full of it. I guess? I’ve read that their substrate needs to be dry...no it needs to be moist. I’ve read to get ReptiBark...but no, they can’t burrow in ReptiBark. I’ve read it needs to be fine...but no, not fine because that can get in their eyes.

Tbh, it has gotten frustrating to read all the conflicting info out there when it comes to raising Russian tortoises. Now I’m worried that my stockpile of crushed walnut is just a waste of money, which would thrill my wife to no end (sarcasm, lol).

And btw, I have it stockpiled because I’m getting ready to build a new habitat for our little guy and was switching from ReptiBark to the crushed walnut.

I guess I’m looking for help and guidance. We’re still relatively new to this.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I’ve read on here that crushed walnut is bad for russian tortoises, but I have a good bit of it because I read on russian-tortoise.com that it was the best option...https://russian-tortoise.com/russian-tortoise-substrate-and-bedding/. But from the little I’ve read on here, that guy is full of it. I guess? I’ve read that their substrate needs to be dry...no it needs to be moist. I’ve read to get ReptiBark...but no, they can’t burrow in ReptiBark. I’ve read it needs to be fine...but no, not fine because that can get in their eyes.

Tbh, it has gotten frustrating to read all the conflicting info out there when it comes to raising Russian tortoises. Now I’m worried that my stockpile of crushed walnut is just a waste of money, which would thrill my wife to no end (sarcasm, lol).

And btw, I have it stockpiled because I’m getting ready to build a new habitat for our little guy and was switching from ReptiBark to the crushed walnut.

I would avoid the walnut shells. Reptibark or bulk fine fir bark is the best. A Russian can burrow into anything that isn't hard packed- mine digs different spots daily in 4" of cypress mulch. Also found this on internet
dogs: Walnuts that have been left on the ground in damp areas grow a mold that is extremely toxic if ingested. To avoid “moldy walnut poisoning”, as well as the potential for intestinal obstruction caused by the ingestion of whole walnut shells, keep yards free of all fallen walnuts.
1612049040296.png
www.midtownanimalclinic.com › p...
Poison Page - Midtown Animal Clinic

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT

I feel your pain! I, too, used to use walnut hulls as substrate because I was told they are a ”desert” animal. I hated the dust that it left in my studio and on my Russian. THEN, I found this forum and life changed for the BEST! I now have him on appropriate substrate and add water to keep appropriate humidity.

Stick to this forum for all of your questions, and you and your tort will feel so much better!

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Ur worrying to much. Sit down and take a deep breath.. and have a cigarette

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Many kinds of wood dusts are some of the most toxic things you can be exposed to. Some types of Yew dust can cause you to develop contact allergies to the dust. Breathing any hardwood dust is extremely bad for you. The warning on repti-bark, imo, is meaningless unless you are going to turn the bark into sawdust. I make a lot of metal, composite, and wood dust, am very familiar with the risks and the protective equipment required.

edit: Im just trying to make the point that its a standard warning on certain types of wood product.

Last edited:

Coopa

Louisiana
So another question...if crushed walnut shells are this bad, why are pet companies producing and selling it?