What type of prolapse is this?

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Anybody know what type of prolapse this is? He was just straining to poop and it popped out a little bit. I have him sitting in warm water for a while.

IMG_3872.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks like a penis. I would start doing a couple soaks a day and feed a little watery foods, like cucumber, romaine, cactus with his regular food. You don't want him to continue prolaspimg and he looks too young to be flashing willingly. Most don't even start that unt around age 3 or older. How old is he and what's his diet?

Ohio
He's 6 months old; he eats mazuri and I give him plaintain, hibiscus leaves, mulberry leaves, some kale and endive for the water content.
I just wanted to check what organ that was that popped out since I dunno what an undeveloped tortoise penis looks like, nor what a bladder or intestine prolapse looks like.

Ohio
I got it to go back in naturally by leaving him in a bath for about 45 mins in his closed chamber under his lamp, baths seem to be the cure for just about everything with tortoises

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I’m glad you got it to go back inside. I think that this baby is too young for flushing his manly jewels, in which case that leaves me to another likely culprit: difficulty passing poop due to constipation, or something he swallowed that he’s trying to pass now, or... bladder stones? Let’s hope and pray it’s not the latter. For now, I’d follow Wellington’s advise and feed watery foods, addsome aloe, cactus pads to diet, keep him warm and VERY humid, and SOAK, SOAK, SOAK!!! Until you see nice soft poop being passed with ease. No straining. Also keep checking for any grit or chunks/pieces of stuff in the excreta. I think you answers will be right there

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, if he ever does prolapse and it doesn't go in right away, either keep him in a warm soak or also try a sugar paste on it. But keep it moit's or it will dry up die off and will have to be removed. A sugar paste helps the swelling to go down so it can hopefully go back in or carefully be pushed back in.
Hopefully it will never get too that. Be sure there are no small stones in the enclosure. If you see him eating wood chips you may have in the enclosure, I would switch them out too just coconut coir. Soaking does do wonders. Soaking in a big container where there is plenty of room to move around helps poops to pass easier too. Good luck, hope it was a one time deal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can also gently press with the pad of a finger to see if you can push it back inside.

Ohio
Good news is he pooped today and everything looks back to normal.
Hope it stays that way.