What type of fish should i feed my three toed Box turtle?

xBapes

Location (City and/or State)
Cockeysville, MD
Also what type of snails do people feed there box turtles i've heard so many people say they our really good for box turtles, but what kind of snail?

I look at snails like treats, and they are hit and miss with some turtles. I usually don’t buy the live ones..I just get the Zoomed Can’o Snails [emoji31]

EE torts

USA
I look at snails like treats, and they are hit and miss with some turtles. I usually don’t buy the live ones..I just get the Zoomed Can’o Snails [emoji31][/QUOTEi was thinking of getting thous but people say there better with the shell.

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD

I’ve actually heard the opposite. I hear people getting them without the shell or removing them from the shell themselves. I think most care takers just use whatever worms they can find. I haven’t seen a ton of people feeding snails but that’s just from the people I know. You could always try the can to see if he/she even likes Snails first and then decide if you want to look for live snails with the shell or not

EE torts

USA
I’ve actually heard the opposite. I hear people getting them without the shell or removing them from the shell themselves. I think most care takers just use whatever worms they can find. I haven’t seen a ton of people feeding snails but that’s just from the people I know. You could always try the can to see if he/she even likes Snails first and then decide if you want to look for live snails with the shell or not
Yeah i guess i will just have to try stuff, thanks so much for your help! i was just wondering it you think i should use a 5.0 UVB instead of a 10.0 i always thought a 5.0 wouldn't do enough but than i heard this YouTuber that is really good, he is "Shelled Reptiles" and he said a 10.0 was to strong and you should use a 5.0. so which one do you use/recommend?

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Yeah i guess i will just have to try stuff, thanks so much for your help! i was just wondering it you think i should use a 5.0 UVB instead of a 10.0 i always thought a 5.0 wouldn't do enough but than i heard this YouTuber that is really good, he is "Shelled Reptiles" and he said a 10.0 was to strong and you should use a 5.0. so which one do you use/recommend?

I’ve always used a 5.0 when I used the tube lighting. I decided to start using a 100w MVB bulb from MegaRay which has the UVB already in it. I started using the tube light fixture for normal lighting and plant growth when I decide to plant grass seed , etc. I just like the aspect of him not being hit by sun rays constantly with the tube light..though he has hides, leaves l, and spag moss to hide amongst. He gets his UVB while basking. Plus it eliminates another light for me to have above the stock tank I have him in.

EE torts

USA
I’ve always used a 5.0 when I used the tube lighting. I decided to start using a 100w MVB bulb from MegaRay which has the UVB already in it. I started using the tube light fixture for normal lighting and plant growth when I decide to plant grass seed , etc. I just like the aspect of him not being hit by sun rays constantly with the tube light..though he has hides, leaves l, and spag moss to hide amongst. He gets his UVB while basking. Plus it eliminates another light for me to have above the stock tank I have him in.
So should i switch to a 5.0?

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
So should i switch to a 5.0?

Yeah I totally would. 10.0 emits a higher amount but I would assume that would be more beneficial judging the distance from shell/substrate to light. I’ve never had any issues using a 5.0 from 10-12 inches and that was even with a Russian Tortoise but like I said that is also why I switched to a mercury vapor bulb

EE torts

USA
Yeah I totally would. 10.0 emits a higher amount but I would assume that would be more beneficial judging the distance from shell/substrate to light. I’ve never had any issues using a 5.0 from 10-12 inches and that was even with a Russian Tortoise but like I said that is also why I switched to a mercury vapor bulb
Okay i will switch!!

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
Okay i will switch!!

The thing I like about mercury vapor bulbs is that they can literally just walk away from it and not have to worry about getting sunlight non stop. I guess it’s more of an owner preference. If you do decide to go mercury vapor don’t get the Zoomed ones, they are terrible [emoji31] I would get MegaRay 100w or Lugarti 100w. I think MegaRay is about 43 dollars off of Amazon. Lugarti is about the same price but you have to get it off of their website I believe. I’d go with a MegaRay bulb, the back of the box even has the distance you should have the bulb so you know it’s in the right range. Their customer service people are always available to call and they can give you the run down and walk you through anything. I love them [emoji16]

EE torts

USA
The thing I like about mercury vapor bulbs is that they can literally just walk away from it and not have to worry about getting sunlight non stop. I guess it’s more of an owner preference. If you do decide to go mercury vapor don’t get the Zoomed ones, they are terrible [emoji31] I would get MegaRay 100w or Lugarti 100w. I think MegaRay is about 43 dollars off of Amazon. Lugarti is about the same price but you have to get it off of their website I believe. I’d go with a MegaRay bulb, the back of the box even has the distance you should have the bulb so you know it’s in the right range. Their customer service people are always available to call and they can give you the run down and walk you through anything. I love them [emoji16]
okay i might try a MVB one day but for right now i'll probably use my 10.0 because i've heard 5.0 does basically nothing. thanks for all your help!!

xBapes

Cockeysville, MD
okay i might try a MVB one day but for right now i'll probably use my 10.0 because i've heard 5.0 does basically nothing. thanks for all your help!!

Watch this. The reason I say 10.0 may not be good is due to the distance from shell to wherever you have it mounted. If your screen top or mount is about 16-18 inches high then a 10.0 is fine, but if it’s at 12 inches you could bake him. The 5.0 is normally about 12 inches away recommended.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Okay, i wasn't planning on feeding to often maybe every other month or so. So if i bought like two guppies from lets just say like Petsmart and they where sick could the box turtle get sick from thous fish if it ate it?

probably depends on what bacteria , virus or parasite the fish was carrying , and the health of your turtle …… a immune healthy , unstressed animal will be resistant to a lot of diseases and parasites they are exposed to ……...