what to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
What would be good to use for building an enclosure for my leopard?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I used those grey cinder blocks for my outdoor enclosures

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
inside or out ? you can make one with a lot of things what ever works for you how big is your leo?

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
If outside it use cinder blocks as well, if inside id make it out of wood. Welcome to the forum! :)

River14

5 Year Member
Jimmy is still cracking corn and I dont know why but if it makes him happy I am too.

How big is your tortoise. Im just using builders planks I stole from next door. Some can limb some cant.......

River14 said:
Jimmy is still cracking corn and I dont know why but if it makes him happy I am too.

How big is your tortoise. Im just using builders planks I stole from next door. Some can climb some cant.......

Is Ontario warm?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Cement or Cinder blocks work well but without a good base or footing can heave and shift with frost. My outdoor enclosures, most of which have been in place at least 20 years are made of 3/4" pressure treated plywood. They're cut in 16" by 96" strips. About 4" is buried below ground. My indoor enclosures are 3/4" cdx plywood painted with a good quality alkyd enamel latex paint. They also have been in use for many, many years and have only needed to be repainted once.

Picture142.jpg

enclosure-8.jpg

jbean7916

5 Year Member
awwww it's like turtle bunk beds!!!! I love your indoor enclosures!

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
still only a hatchling few months old im just finding out ahead of time. i live in canada so it does snow here so he wont be outside for the winter months. so inddor enclosure for now.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
tyguy35 said:
still only a hatchling few months old im just finding out ahead of time. i live in canada so it does snow here so he wont be outside for the winter months. so inddor enclosure for now.

Hi
I'm in Canada too-I would also add some protection above the enclosure-to prevent birds, raccoons, weasels, dogs, cats etc
My pens have hardware cloth tops just in case.

tyguy35 said:

If you want something quickly I picked up a plastic stock tank from Peavey Mart it was $37 and would be ok for a while for a hatchlingP7280991 (Large).JPGApril 2010 015 (Medium).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
as of right now im using a tupperware bin for the hatchling from walmart. i was just planning ahead of time. also what typer of wood is best because some soak up water some are bad for the tortoise etc?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
and to answer river 14 yes it is warm here its about 35 to 40 in celsius i dont know what that is in farhenheit. in the winter it goes to about -15 -20

Status
Not open for further replies.