What to feed in winter

Kylee L.

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, FL
Hi everyone, it's been so long since I've been on here.. I miss the tort families! So, the colder months are on the way and I've been trying to grow different plants for Sheldon (Russian tort) inside and out so he still has a wide variety to eat during "off season". I live in SC but things still die off for a few months. What are some good things to plant or do to prepare for winter. Also, I'm very interested in buying any plants if anyone sells for tort food, he LOVES succulents, cactus and plants that flower!! (...he does not like the pellets... )

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Have you checked out @Kapidolo Farms food items he sells?
I have one Russian and leopards. I strip my trees, mulberry of their leaves and get grape leaves from neighbors to feed thru winter. I also will take any other leaves or weeds I can find that are safe. I vacuum seal them with the actual vacuum seal bags and freeze most of it. I also use grocery greens, cactus and mazuri. No, my russian doesn't like mazuri pellets either.
I get too cold and snowy to grow any plants outside and no room inside.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Have you checked out @Kapidolo Farms food items he sells?
I have one Russian and leopards. I strip my trees, mulberry of their leaves and get grape leaves from neighbors to feed thru winter. I also will take any other leaves or weeds I can find that are safe. I vacuum seal them with the actual vacuum seal bags and freeze most of it. I also use grocery greens, cactus and mazuri. No, my russian doesn't like mazuri pellets either.
I get too cold and snowy to grow any plants outside and no room inside.
no I have not, never heard of it but i will definitely check them ou, thank you!! I do have some weeds that grow through out the winter and I get green mixes from the store, but I know he would love different things to eat... hes a hungry little thing lol, loves his food!!!

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I plant bunch of greens on my sulcatas winter enclosure. Fastest growing are any form of cat grass, transplanting any weeds, going to a feed store and getting clover seeds.
I avoid store greens.
I collect dandelion seeds over the summer. This is Herbie’s new enclosure and all the greens you see sprouted in 4 days. The big clump of clover has been transplanted from outside and Herbie sleeps under the clover and eats the top.

Attachments

• 7FB2AE38-A6C3-4E07-B2D5-DAA20BCB5DD8.jpeg
    7FB2AE38-A6C3-4E07-B2D5-DAA20BCB5DD8.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 24

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
I plant bunch of greens on my sulcatas winter enclosure. Fastest growing are any form of cat grass, transplanting any weeds, going to a feed store and getting clover seeds.
I avoid store greens.
I collect dandelion seeds over the summer. This is Herbie’s new enclosure and all the greens you see sprouted in 4 days. The big clump of clover has been transplanted from outside and Herbie sleeps under the clover and eats the top.
what kind of substrate or is that dirt? where do you get thre cat grass lol. That is my biggest issue I think, is where ro get seeds and safe plants as far as no insecticides or bad fertilizers

AgataP

Seattle, WA
what kind of substrate or is that dirt? where do you get thre cat grass lol. That is my biggest issue I think, is where ro get seeds and safe plants as far as no insecticides or bad fertilizers
Feed stores are the best as they need to sell seeds for animals. Also many seeds that I have I collect during summer in my back yard as we keep all the weeds and grasses. Substrate is coco coir. Since Herbie’s enclosure is a closed chamber with high humidity and nice warm temps everything grows very fast.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Feed stores are the best as they need to sell seeds for animals. Also many seeds that I have I collect during summer in my back yard as we keep all the weeds and grasses. Substrate is coco coir. Since Herbie’s enclosure is a closed chamber with high humidity and nice warm temps everything grows very fast.
well dang, I didn't know Rhett would grow in the coconut coir lol. Sheldon's encloser stays warm and half is high humidity, I'm going to have plant some seeds and see if they grow! thank you! tou have helped!!!

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
well dang, I didn't know Rhett would grow in the coconut coir lol. Sheldon's encloser stays warm and half is high humidity, I'm going to have plant some seeds and see if they grow! thank you! tou have helped!!!
also, being a feed and seed store, how much do youI have to buy?

AgataP

Seattle, WA
also, being a feed and seed store, how much do youI have to buy?
My local store has bins and sells by weight. So last time when I went they gave me stuff for free ? they were all excited that it is for a tortoise. after they seen pictures they didn’t want any money.

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
My local store has bins and sells by weight. So last time when I went they gave me stuff for free ? they were all excited that it is for a tortoise. after they seen pictures they didn’t want any money.
LOL!! I will keep that in mind and take lots of pics of Sheldon before we go. It's so funny the reactions you get when you say you have a tortoise

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I live in WA some people walk around with Lamas and mini horses. Hard to surprise anyone here ???

TisMary

New York
I plant Testudo Mix from Tortoise Supply. It germinates in about a day and a half! I put a few seeds in each of several 2 oz plastic cups. When the seedlings are tall enough, I bury a cup up to the rim right in the enclosure. That way when he eats them down to the nubs, I can swap in a new one.

Here's a tip that is working for me (so far ?): plant marigold and/or dill seeds in with or near the greens seedlings. They keep the aphids away! If you go with marigolds and you're not going to put them in with your tort, you can use Tagetes. Otherwise, you should use Calendula because they're safe in case he decides to eat them too!

I also have a bunch of houseplants (herbs, succulents, cacti) that he likes. I've posted a few lists here in TFO that might be helpful. If you want more info, bounce back.

1630672862317.jpeg

1630672877779.jpeg

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
In the winter, I feed all of my tortoises (including four Russians) a fair amount of mixed greens from my grocery store. I supplement with greens by tossing them with a bit of a dried flower/weed/seaweed mix that hopefully makes up for any nutritional shortfall.

Jamie

Reactions: Tom