What to do with the poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I was wondering what you do with your tortoise poo especially Sulcata and other biggies. I have been putting Tanks in potted plants. (not food plants)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In our town we HAVE to recycle. We have a green waste bin, a recycle bin and a trash bin. I put my tortoise poo in the green waste bin.

luvsulcatas

5 Year Member
I think they would make great Christmas ornaments. Just dry them and then paint them.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Missy said:
I was wondering what you do with your tortoise poo especially Sulcata and other biggies. I have been putting Tanks in potted plants. (not food plants)
Excellant, I do this myself and enjoy results.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
They do make quite a bit. I wish we has more options here than to throw in trash.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been chucking it over the wall (don't worry, still our property) or in the dumpster. Per Maggies' suggestion, I just put today's "load" at the bottom of the giant holes I dug to plant my new grape vines in.

Sigmar

5 Year Member
Missy said:
So its ok to use as fertilizer??

Should work well. If you look at it after its dried its kinda like horse poo. A mixture of grasses.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
What about Salmanilla (sp?). I have a hard time believing that my babies have this, but I have heard all reptiles do. Would their poop spread it. I don't think poop is concidered green waste, Yvonne you might want to check with the disposal company.

Good question Missy:) .

Sigmar

5 Year Member
Angi said:
What about Salmanilla (sp?). I have a hard time believing that my babies have this, but I have heard all reptiles do. Would their poop spread it. I don't think poop is concidered green waste, Yvonne you might want to check with the disposal company.

Good question Missy:) .

I think thats more of an issue with meat eaters. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Angi said:
I don't think poop is concidered green waste, Yvonne you might want to check with the disposal company.

You're correct...the instructions DO tell you not to put animal waste in the green waste bin, however, my tortoise poop looks like grass pellets. If grass isn't green waste, then I don't know what is. I doubt if the poop police is going to come knocking on my door and give me a citation! :D

M

Maggie Cummings

I have been using Bob poop for fertilizer for the almost 5 years we have lived here. I believe I have posted pictures of the difference it has made in a sick rhododendron bush and the hydrangea. I have a corner at the back of my property where I throw all the tort poop. Then when needed I take shovelfuls and dig the stuff around whatever bush needs it. The poop pile itself is just chock full of worms so I collect them and feed my box turtles and Scruffie the RES with my Bob grown nightcrawlers. I think at times we are too concerned with salmonella or germs. Wash your hands after handling all turtles and be sure to rinse your mouth out after kissing any water turtle.:)
I have seen the difference that Bob poop has made in sick or spindly bushes or trees. Grazing tort poop is totally different then any poop from a meat eater or one that is on a high protein diet.
I know there are closet Sulcata scoopers who have picked up dried Sulcata poop barehanded at times. Bob or grazing tort poop smells different and is full of grasses rather than protein waste. I don't think Bob poop smells offensive at all, but I have to clean the litter box while holding my breath...

Motara's Mom

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
I have been using Bob poop for fertilizer for the almost 5 years we have lived here. I believe I have posted pictures of the difference it has made in a sick rhododendron bush and the hydrangea. I have a corner at the back of my property where I throw all the tort poop. Then when needed I take shovelfuls and dig the stuff around whatever bush needs it. The poop pile itself is just chock full of worms so I collect them and feed my box turtles and Scruffie the RES with my Bob grown nightcrawlers. I think at times we are too concerned with salmonella or germs. Wash your hands after handling all turtles and be sure to rinse your mouth out after kissing any water turtle.:)
I have seen the difference that Bob poop has made in sick or spindly bushes or trees. Grazing tort poop is totally different then any poop from a meat eater or one that is on a high protein diet.
I know there are closet Sulcata scoopers who have picked up dried Sulcata poop barehanded at times. Bob or grazing tort poop smells different and is full of grasses rather than protein waste. I don't think Bob poop smells offensive at all, but I have to clean the litter box while holding my breath...

So have you ever put it around vegetables or anything that you eat?

luvsulcatas

5 Year Member
I toss mine in the trash because I'm worried the birds in my yard will get some zoonotic disease. It is possible to transmit salmonella. I also worry about my dogs when they are outside.

M

Maggie Cummings

No, I am not afraid of tort poop. I was a truck driver for many years and one of my routes was to haul lettuce out of the Salinas Valley that had cow poop on it, and after that it was corn from Colorado and after seeing how they treat mass food like that a bit of Sulcata poop doesn't scare me. I used to back a trailer up to a field of carrots and they'd shoot the carrots into the trailer with a gun and while I was standing around I mentioned something about how bad it smelled the guy said it was 'fresh' cow poop. They went to the dairys and scraped poop and pee up with a shovel put in a truck drove out to the field and smeared on the food. Then when I got to Bakersfield to unload, I forget the name of the farm, the carrots were loaded onto a conveyor belt then dumped in a bleach mix then shot into a drum that had blades in it and they roll around so when the carrots came out they were little, for finger dipping, then run thru bleach again. Put in bags and driven to Safeway. Nope, I'm not scared of a little Sulcata poop, but I seriously am afraid of field veggies.

M

Maggie Cummings

Motara said:
Those kind of stories is why I grow as much of my food as I can.

And put Sulcata poop on them and they grow big as all heck!!!:p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
maggie3fan said:
I know there are closet Sulcata scoopers who have picked up dried Sulcata poop barehanded at times.

Ha! I thought I was just weird or especially desensitized. I do let them dry out first though.

I've got news for everyone. Salmonella is EVERYWHERE! Its on your toothbrush. Its all over the keyboard you type on. Its on your countertops and its on YOU right now!

Don't worry about it. Just wash your hands before you eat and try to minimize the nasty things you touch.

BTW, my wife has a Master's in microbiology. She could tell you stories that would totally freak you out! She did her thesis on E. coli H157. Yes, that's THE E. coli. My wife knows her sh*t!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.