What to do when receiving tortoise hatchling by mail?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm feeling much less worried this morning about my new sully (which I've named Atlas!). I saw that he moved around a little more last night when the light was off so I'm thinking he was maybe just scared during the day. He woke up right away when the lights turned on and was active during his morning bath. He also went to town on his food after his bath (Spring Mix, Nopales cactus, and some young grape leaves). I'm hoping to see him more active as the days go by!

(Sorry I couldn't edit my previous post but I wanted to give everyone an update)
He's not scared. He's relaxed and comfortable. When they sprawl out like that it is a state of relaxation and shows that they aren't worried about predation or anything. This is a very good sign in a brand new baby. Many of them takes months to become that unafraid. You got a good one.

They also sleep and relax after a big meal. Once they find food and eat a bunch, there is no reason to run around. Sort of like my couch after thanksgiving dinner. You should hear all the snoring...

Babies sleep most of the day. Don't expect a lot of activity.

I was going to make a joke about the first post in your thread here, but I found it too late. "First, open the box. Definitely do this before soaking or feeding..." :)

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm starting to get a little worried about the Sulcata baby that I received today (by mail). It hasn't been walking around much and when it does walk it doesn't move too far. I soaked the baby immediately after unpacking it and it looked around and drank a little. After the 30 minute warm soak I placed it under its basking spot where it laid for 15-20 minutes with its head down. After it lifted its head up it saw the food and made a beeline to it and ate quite a bit before kind of just laying in its bowl for a few hours. It finally came out of the bowl but only moved about 7 inches away from it.

I'll attach a picture of how he is laying right now. He lays with his limbs sprawled out rather than hiding in his shell. Here is a video of it taking a bath to kind of show how it was acting. Just to show he can move normally, here is a video of it after it snapped out of its slumber(?) and finally noticed the food bowl.

Its basking side is currently ~95*F and the cooler side is ~85*F, although he hasn't been on the basking side much because his food bowl is on the cooler side (and he's been in his bowl for a few hours).

Should I be worried even though it ate great once it got to the food?

That looks like a typical basking posture. He must be enjoying the warmth. Make sure that the water temp remains warm enough while soaking. keep a pint of warm water handy and exchange the cool water with the warm water. I soak my babies under the Radiant Heat Panel in their enclosure. A long soak in water that has chilled isn't a good idea.

Nimus

California
Make sure that the water temp remains warm enough while soaking. keep a pint of warm water handy and exchange the cool water with the warm water. I soak my babies under the Radiant Heat Panel in their enclosure. A long soak in water that has chilled isn't a good idea.

I just put his bath container in his enclosure while giving him a bath so the ceramic bulbs (ambient temperature) keep the water warm.